Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braden MU 2 operation

Hi:
    Could someone give me a step by step sequence of the proper operation of the mu 2 winch on my 48 B-1

I believe the drum fork is engaged 1st
    Then the pto is engaged from the cab and clutch let out.

Have just rebuilt my winch, do not want to screw it up

I am just making the truck complete and realize the general hazards of
    this unit. Want to test the unit without cable for now.

Thanks

Mike

You can do your unloaded testing with the cable drum engaged. Some people never disengage them.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

The winch turns slowly, so you should be able to engage the pto, get the winch gears going, then engage the drum clutch with the handle. If you have the original handle, you are one of the very lucky ones, as they are usually destroyed long ago.

Comment

What ever you do, operate the winch from inside the cab or have someone in the cab that can declutch the pto. It is easy to engage the winch from up front, but very difficult to disengage the dog clutch at the winch.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
          What ever you do, operate the winch from inside the cab or have someone in the cab that can declutch the pto. It is easy to engage the winch from up front, but very difficult to disengage the dog clutch at the winch.

Frank
          Good point. When I was younger (and faster) I could time the tail chain's arrival at the fair leads and get from the front of the truck to the cab and declutch or switch off the engine before any damage occurred. Now I don't trust myself to be that quick. Maybe time to wire in a kill switch?

Comment

Braden MU 2

Thanks all
            I appreciate the feed back
            Regards
            Mike
            1948 B1

Comment

I always leave the winch engaged...its just what my supervisor taught me to do!

We carry a pry bar in the truck with the usual set of snatch blocks, chains, Crosby clamps, etc to help disengage it if it gives you trouble.

-T

Comment

Originally posted by pwrwagonfire View Post
                I always leave the winch engaged...its just what my supervisor taught me to do!

We carry a pry bar in the truck with the usual set of snatch blocks, chains, Crosby clamps, etc to help disengage it if it gives you trouble.

-T
                Just be aware that if the pto is accidentally engaged, the winch will do more damage to itself or the truck than you can imagine before you will have time to stop and pull over and shut the motor off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
                  Just be aware that if the pto is accidentally engaged, the winch will do more damage to itself or the truck than you can imagine before you will have time to stop and pull over and shut the motor off.
                  Very good point

-T

Comment

Originally posted by pwrwagonfire View Post
                    Very good point

-T
                    I will tell you about a real life experience that I witnessed many years ago. A friend oif mine, not the brightest bulb in the box, bought a Scout with a pto winch on it. He couldn't wait to play with it. He got it to feed out and to spool back in, somehow without losing a hand or something. Then he wrapped the cable around the bumper after spooling it in most of the way. He then jumps in the Scout and heads to town, with both the pto and the winch still engaged. He made it about 20' away from his driveway and the car came to a sudden stop. Further examination showed the bumper twisted like a pretzel and the cable so tight he ended up cutting it with a hack saw to get things disengaged. True story. I would just hate to see any re-runs if I can help it.

Comment

Comment

Tires

Jerry,
                        What tires are you running on your WM300, I am looking for a set for my truck.
                        Bob 2

Comment

They are STA Superlug 9.00x16.
                          I have been very pleased with them
                          I think they are still made in PA.
                          Google should show the sources for them.
                          Jerry

Comment

Tires

Jerry
                            Thank you for the information. Happy New Year.

Bob 2

Comment

Working...
                            X