Power Wagon on Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Wagon on Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale

Didn't know if this post would be better here or maybe in the buy forum.

I'm still looking for a Power Wagon. Haven't found one yet which is the bad news. The good news is that the government decided to remove VAT and lower the taxes when importing 30+ year old cars if they aren't modified.

Saw that there is one 1952 Power Wagon for sale on the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale. It has Lot #1247. Anybody know anything of this truck and what it will go for? Time is running out and I must decide whether I should pay the hefty registration fee and start with getting all the papers in order.

Don't buy anything at auction without having a knowledgeable person look it over for you. Trucks that sell at Barrett-Jackson are usually at the high end of the price spectrum and, in my opinion, not worth it.

Take your time. Trucks that are in good condition will come up for sale, usually at much better than auction prices. Have someone check it out, then come over and look at the truck yourself before sealing the deal. Patience is the key to making a good deal.

Buying (or selling) a truck internationally is a good way to get screwed unless it is done properly. Buying a truck unseen from auction is not the proper way.

Are you knowledgeable about Power Wagons? Make sure you have experienced driving one. They are not trucks with much general usefulness. Fun as a hobby, yes. But, not as a practical vehicle, especially in the land of $8.00 per gallon gasoline.

That being said, the truck sure looks nice, but it's not a 100 per cent correct restoration, and I'd certainly not pay $35,000-$45,000 (my guess) based on four pictures.

If I lived in Europe and wanted an impractical, but interesting, vehicle I might look at Unimogs.

Comment

Hi gmharris and thank you for your response. I will take your advice on not to bid on the one in Scottsdale, it will stretch my budget to much. The good thing with Scottsdale is that I have family there and one of Swedens largest private vehicle importer (arizonaclassic.com) resides there.

You are most likely correct in your advice to be patient and take the time. Thing is, that after looking for a truck for over three years without getting hold of one you are starting to get impatient. At the same time, prices over these three years seems to be on the rise adding to the stress of not finding a truck.

Personally I don't have much experience from FFPW, I have only driven my own which has a completely rotten wooden cab, a -68 in Denmark and a wc63 up north. I love these trucks in all shapes, original and modified doesn't really matter as long as modifications are solid, not extreme and made with a true purpose.

They may not be as useful over here where fuel is very expensive, but it is my hobby and some hobbys aren't cheap. The truck would most likely only be used for driving around during the summer and a few trips in a winter wonderland and not for daily commuting which means fuel price would not being a determining factor.

I would loved to have one this weekend when my car ended up backwards in a ditch. Could just had gone home, got the truck, pulled the car out of the ditch instead of having to wait hours trying to get help. Unimogs are nice but they don't rock my boat as I'm not a fan of european vehicles. :)

Comment

Frippe,

Good luck on your quest. I agree with GM that Barrett Jackson and similar auctions are too expensive. I would look at ebay or other sources for your power wagon. I know that the Vintage Power Wagons company sells trucks. One friend bought one of the Danish power wagons from them. My friend required from Vintage in the contract that the truck pass an inspection procedure by the authorities in my friend's home state before the sale was final, which vintage agreed to.

Alternatively, there was/is a french power wagon forum (not sure if it is still active). I wonder if there are some power wagons on the continent that might be for sale? See below.

http://www.forum-auto.com/automobile...ujet377315.htm

I know I enjoy mine, and I joke with my wife when we drive it. I tell her now you know what it is like to be a rock star; people are drawn to it in an amazing way whenever you stop for fuel or for any other reason. When we drove it on the beach last summer, even the young pretty women noticed it, causing bad looks by their boyfriends who had the custom lifted modern trucks. I use mine on my farm to winch logs up out of ravines, etc. One winter I hit ice while driving my modern diesel pickup and went into a ditch. The truck weighs about 7,000#. I used the power wagon to pull it out, saving a tow truck charge. My neighbor who is a professional mechanic was amazed at the pulling power it had even though the engine is small.

Comment

Originally posted by frippe123 View Post
          Hi gmharris and thank you for your response. I will take your advice on not to bid on the one in Scottsdale, it will stretch my budget to much. The good thing with Scottsdale is that I have family there and one of Swedens largest private vehicle importer (arizonaclassic.com) resides there.

You are most likely correct in your advice to be patient and take the time. Thing is, that after looking for a truck for over three years without getting hold of one you are starting to get impatient. At the same time, prices over these three years seems to be on the rise adding to the stress of not finding a truck.

Personally I don't have much experience from FFPW, I have only driven my own which has a completely rotten wooden cab, a -68 in Denmark and a wc63 up north. I love these trucks in all shapes, original and modified doesn't really matter as long as modifications are solid, not extreme and made with a true purpose.

They may not be as useful over here where fuel is very expensive, but it is my hobby and some hobbys aren't cheap. The truck would most likely only be used for driving around during the summer and a few trips in a winter wonderland and not for daily commuting which means fuel price would not being a determining factor.

I would loved to have one this weekend when my car ended up backwards in a ditch. Could just had gone home, got the truck, pulled the car out of the ditch instead of having to wait hours trying to get help. Unimogs are nice but they don't rock my boat as I'm not a fan of european vehicles. :)
          Why don't you tell us what you are looking for? Good running truck? Totally restored? And, maybe we can keep a lookout for something you might be interested in. I don't think you can get anything that is worth shipping to Sweden for anything less than about $20,000-25,000. After all, it's going to be much cheaper to restore a truck over here than in Sweden.

One advantage of going through Barrett-Jackson is that you are not likely to get taken by some scam. Barrett-Jackson makes sure there is a vehicle and you get it. And, they make sure the seller gets paid and the paperwork taken care of. Be careful about long distance negotiations. There are way too many scammers out there. Definitely work with a company with an established reputation for shipping vehicles to Sweden if you can not handle the deal in-person or get a knowledgeable person you trust to do it for you.

Comment

Hi,

Haven't seen the french forum before. Thanks you for the link. Been searching all over Europe without any luck. The Weapon Carriers are plentiful, the Power Wagons not so much unfortunately.

I'm looking for a truck in the 5000-20000 range. I can go higher for a very nice truck but that range is what I feel comfortable with. Shipping is not that bad actually. You pay roughly $4000 in shipping, certificates etc (Includes $1000 transportation in the states) and then you pay 12% on the purchase price.

-Clear title is a must, it is impossible to import otherwise.

-I prefer a truck with patina over a restored truck if the quality of the restoration is unknown. It might later turn out that the truck has thick layers of plastic padding or bondo. Seen it on numerous imports over the years where the paint starts to crack and you can see how deep the cracks are.

-Preferably I would like a running truck and as complete as possible as spare body parts are hard to come by over here.

-Winch and original bed is plus

-Year doesn't really matter but if it is older than 1950 it is a plus as it will be exempt from biannual inspections.

-The truck must be original, otherwise I will end up with 55% in import fees and taxes instead of 12%. What defines original is not exactly clear but for example different sets of wheels/tires are ok but an engine swap (to anything other than a straight six) is not.

-Location doesn't matter but close to ports is always better, I know of people in Arizona and Florida that can help with export from the states but there are other options as well.

If any of you guys and girls see, discover or find a truck that seem to be an approximate fit. Please let me know, I would be most grateful

We Europeans used to be able to search Ebay Motors for vehicles and I know several people who successfully have bought trucks this way. However, since a few months back browsing or searching returns a very limited sets of results if any. For example: A search for Dodge returns 55 vehicles which i believe is far less results than you guys get.

Comment

Have you tried entering this for ebay?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-...caravan&_sop=1

Comment

Hi Doc Dave,

Yes, Unfortenately the response I get is: 0 results found in the Cars & Trucks category, so we searched in all categories

Comment

That is strange.
                  I get 20 entries!
                  I wonder if an ebay representative would know a way to solve he problem for you?

Comment

difference between Sweden and US ebay?
                    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                    Will
                    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Hi,

Haven't seen the french forum before. Thanks you for the link. Been searching all over Europe without any luck. The Weapon Carriers are plentiful, the Power Wagons not so much unfortunately.

I'm looking for a truck in the 5000-20000 range. I can go higher for a very nice truck but that range is what I feel comfortable with. Shipping is not that bad actually. You pay roughly $4000 in shipping, certificates etc (Includes $1000 transportation in the states) and then you pay 12% on the purchase price.

-I prefer a truck with patina over a restored truck if the quality of the restoration is unknown. It might later turn out that the truck has thick layers of plastic padding or bondo. Seen it on numerous imports over the years where the paint starts to crack and you can see how deep the cracks are.

-Preferably I would like a running truck and as complete as possible as spare body parts are hard to come by over here.

-Year doesn't really matter but if it is older than 1950 it is a plus as it will be exempt from biannual inspections.

-The truck must be original, otherwise I will end up with 55% in import fees and taxes instead of 12%. What defines original is not exactly clear but for example different sets of wheels/tires are ok but an engine swap (to anything other than a straight six) is not.

-Location doesn't matter but close to ports is always better, I know of people in Arizona and Florida that can help with export from the states but there are other options as well.

If any of you guys and girls see, discover or find a truck that seem to be an approximate fit. Please let me know, I would be most grateful

We Europeans used to be able to search Ebay Motors for vehicles and I know several people who successfully have bought trucks this way. However, since a few months back browsing or searching returns a very limited sets of results if any. For example: A search for Dodge returns 55 vehicles which i believe is far less results than you guys get.
                      Unfortunately, we are looking for the same thing and we are closer.

Comment

I saw this on Joe Cimoch's site, under photo classified.
                        Older than 1950. I don't know anything about it other than what is on the advertisement.

http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/class...-121213-49.php

Comment

I was in contact with ebay customer service when my saved searches stopped working months ago. The avoiding response I got was that it was to expensive to ship vehicles. Don't understand why ebay should decide if it is to expensive to ship.

It is my belief that the true reason is that buyers have been scammed and ebay buyer protection does not cover international transactions. I do understand them but they could at least be honest and tell the real reason and atleast inform sellers that their listings will not get an international reach.

Funny thing is, today I received a saved search from ebay in the mail for the first time in months. So maybe something is happening.

I understand that my location together with that alot of people are looking for the same type of truck puts me in a worse position. My hopes are still up but they are fading. I saw an ad (PW for 17500) in the November issue of PWA and emailed just minutes after receiving the paper. Someone was already on the way to look at it. :(

Thanks Doc for the link to the ad, I emailed the guy. I might have emailed him before, can't remember. Seems that a lot of trucks on dodgepowerwagon.com are already sold?

Comment

I have the truck for you

Hi,I know where a PW frame is I have the body work to put on it for a whole lot less than the $$ you are talking about

Comment

Hi PWFFnut,

Sounds very interesting. Could you please tell me some more? What shape is the sheet metal in? Year of truck? Clean title?

Comment

Working...
                              X