Still at it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still at it

I finally got done with this stage of take stuff apart and clean it and got around to ordering all the parts I needed. A big bill but not that bad considering most stuff had never been looked at. I only found one bad set of wheel bearings and these were not that bad but there was some "corduroying" of the races.. Seals you always change. Front axle bushings were toast, as were the knuckle bearings. The drag link was full of broken parts. etc etc.

The outer bearing lock nuts in the back were a little frosted by the seals, and these are really hard to get new. I figured I could clean them up, but playing with a strip of abrasive by hand would take forever. Even if you could put them on a lathe, there isn't much to bite on with a chuck and still leave room for your fingers. So...I grabbed a piece of firewood out of the wheelbarrow in the shop and turned a mandrel on the wood lathe that would hold the nuts. This worked great. I put the nut on the mandrel and the mandrel in the wood lathe and cleaned her up at 500 RPM. Part saved, cost zero. Heh heh.

Good improvisation!
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks, Gordon

This isn't the first time I have pulled this one. Once a few years ago I was installing a new clutch in my Kubota tractor and couldn't find a proper clutch installation tool anyplace. I measured everything, turned one out of birch on the lathe, and pounded it through the old clutch plate to put the splines on. Where there is a will and an arctic redneck, there is a way!

Greg

Comment

Working...
      X