Yippee! Tires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yippee! Tires!

I finally got the rims cleaned up and there was a place over in Fairbanks where I could get tires. McCreary Superlugs. They ran just a hair shy of 300 bucks, which isn't to bad considering they go about 250 to 285 on the net plus 175 bucks each for shipping. Not to mention finding a tire shop that knows what a flap is! So now when I get a bit more done I can get the old gal off the jack stands.

I got all four corners rebuilt with new seals, new knuckle bearings, new knuckle seals, new front axle bushings and some other stuff. Out of the brake system I was able to keep the pedal and the drums. (only had to turn one) So now the axles are all done and the drums are back on. I still have to make some more brake lines, rebuild the drag link, change out the oil pan for the rear sump one I got, and put the tie rod back on. I also put on a new muffler. Flowmaster makes one that fits just great. Probably ought to sound good too!

It must be quite a challenge finding parts you need in a relatively remote area. Thanks for the internet, some of the searches become a little easier.
    In this case you got them fairly locally.
    You should be satisfied with the tires. I have them on my WDX. I suggest you have the tire shop sipe them for you. It helps a lot on ice. And some weight in the back in winter doesn't hurt either.
    Too bad they don't make them in radial.

Comment

Gee Jerry, that's a nice looking truck. Yep, getting stuff can be kind of interesting here. I do find that the internet makes all the difference though. I got quite a bit of the stuff I needed that way. I even got some parts from Amazon. I gave about 299 for the Superlugs, which considering what they go for down south and what it costs to get stuff here didn't seem too bad. Not good, but not bad. I have gone as far as I am going on the truck for a while until the bed parts reappear from under the snow. I am not getting to carried away, this is going to be a homestead rig as opposed to a parade truck. Sort of a Redneck restoration you might say! Meanwhile I am getting the greenhouse going and putting a clutch (or trying to) in a '93 Toyota pickup.

Comment

Thanks. I work mine too. The paint is nice but certainly not show quality
        I think I paid $1100 for the tires 4 years ago. You did well. Consider the siping for traction on ice. I know you have it now and :).

Comment

Working...
        X