MU2 Winch Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MU2 Winch Cable

Looking at a new cable for my MU2 Flat Fender. 7/16 x 200'. My question is the Wire I'm looking at is 6x19 Strand with Fiber core. Would this be to stiff ?

The best cable is 6x37 with independent wire rope center or (IWRC). This rope is just as flexible as the 6x19 with fiber core center and is off the charts stronger and longer lasting, when handled and cared for properly.

Be aware when purchasing any cable, much of it is cheap imported product with no quality control during manufacture. I'd recommend staying away from imported cable, sure domestic US cable cost a little more; but when in severe service, it is far safer in use. When installing end terminations, be sure it is done correctly, end terminations failing under a load is EXTREMELY dangerous. We have ours installed, tested, and certified by our cable supplier. This comes with a certificate of guarantee that we can pass along to the owner/user. If an accident should occur involving anyone other than yourself, God help you if you do not have an OSHA approved cable assembly with a valid certification certificate. If you are not educated concerning wire rope and its correct uses, you would be wise to get educated before proceeding. Most if not all the do it yourself quick fix end termination rigs that exist today do not meet current guidelines and are not approved. That includes the "safe-line" end terminations that were original equipment on most of these winches years ago. An honest supplier would tell you they are not certified to hold the normal working load limitations of the rope, but as we all know, not all vendors are forth coming with important information that can save your life, some put making a $$ ahead of selling you a safe product.

Comment

Wire Rope

I agree with Mr. Talbert. The IWRC is about 18% of the rope's strength. if you can, I would specify a Flemish Eye with a thimble in the eye on the working end of the rope.

Comment

Working...
      X