Aussie Power Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Power Wagon

Hi all, just thought I'd share the 57 Power Wagon I just bought, all original with 21,000 miles on the clock. It was delivered new in right hand drive to the Australian Air Force. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for you all soon.

What a bloody ripper...

Congrats mate. Looks like a runner as well.

Give us some back story:
    How did you acquire it?
    What did you pay?
    Need any parts or is it complete?
    etc.

Would love to see some more pics - engine bay - interior, etc

I have the same truck but in a disassembled state. I picked it up from an old mate (didnt even know he had it) where it was in dry storage for thirty years.
    He pulled it apart 25 years ago to make a start on resto but never got any further than painting the chassis.
    The rear body (Aus built) was left in the elements so that is shot, but everything else is there.

Mine is right hand drive W2-26 55

Greg.
    greg@waspworks.com
    Attached Files

Comment

You silly guys, the steering wheel is on the WRONG side!!! ;-)

Nice trucks tho, congrats on the acquisitions on what I would think are rare trucks.

So a question tho, if it was built here for the Australian Air Force, I thought the exports were under the Fargo badge?

Comment

G'day Greg,

That's a good solid looking base you have. Where are you located?

Mine is a runner mate, drives and runs beautifully. Badly needs tyres though, they are as hard as a cats head and a bit square.

I found it by word of mouth. After it's Air Force service it was sold off and put in a shed where it stayed for 30 odd years. A mechanic found and bought it and got it going again, pulled the head off and checked the bore, still had hone marks. Rebuilt the brakes and axle seals, rebuilt the original radiator, generator, carb etc. Basically he just got everything working again. I had been looking for a Power Wagon for ages and he got onto me, a deal was struck and now it's mine.

There are a few jobs still to do, cab mounts and gearbox mounts need replacing, driveline has a few small oil leaks. Most urgent thing is tyres, I'm trying to find something to suit, I don't want to go with bar treads, trying to find either Michelin XZL or STA Super Lug, both hard to get in Aus.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
          You silly guys, the steering wheel is on the WRONG side!!! ;-)

Nice trucks tho, congrats on the acquisitions on what I would think are rare trucks.

So a question tho, if it was built here for the Australian Air Force, I thought the exports were under the Fargo badge?
          I need to research this more Nick, I believe though that they were shipped to Australia in complete knock down form and the conversion to right hand drive was done by Chrysler Australia.

And Greg, mine is W2-26-11, very close to yours.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiecowboy View Post
            G'day Greg,

Mine is a runner mate, drives and runs beautifully. Badly needs tyres though, they are as hard as a cats head and a bit square.

Most urgent thing is tyres, I'm trying to find something to suit, I don't want to go with bar treads, trying to find either Michelin XZL or STA Super Lug, both hard to get in Aus.
            She's a bloody ripper mate = good find ya lucky barstid.

Try Niel Goodridge from http://www.marathonspares.com.au/
            He mentioned he was waiting for a container of 9.00/R16 but I think they were military type lugs.

I am also after XZL or STA or similar so would pay to make contact and work together.
            I have contacted 3 or 4 guys in Aus with FFPW's and all seem really responsive and willing to help/advize.

I'm in Perth
            041 dubl 9 2 dubl 0 42 - Would be great to hear from you.

Greg.

Comment

Yeah, it was a great find, I'm very happy. Didn't come cheap though. Tyres are so hard that they can be let down to 0psi and you can't tell the difference, she sits up just the same.

I'd be very happy to work together on tyres, my local guy is working on it now, the XZLs, if available will probably run 7-800 each.

I've had one quote on the STAs, $2800US landed at my place, plus customs, GST, brokerage etc, so probably $3750 Aus or thereabouts, that's for 5. I reckon I can do better than that though.

I'm on an oil rig at the moment so can't call, you can get me at aussiecowboy@gmail.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                ...if it was built here for the Australian Air Force, I thought the exports were under the Fargo badge?
                Power-Wagons were exported under all three badges - Dodge, Fargo, and DeSoto.

Comment

What amazes me is that it still has the headliner in it!
                  Nice Find!!
                  WDX & Misc. Pics.
                  http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                  "47" Dodge WDX WW
                  "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                  "54" Willys M38A1
                  "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                  "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                  "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                  "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                  "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                  "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                    What amazes me is that it still has the headliner in it!
                    Nice Find!!
                    Noticed that.. Will make a real nice truck.

Greg.

Comment

The models interchange per country is very interesting. We never had Plymouth trucks nor 5 window pilot house trucks. Aus had 5 window fargo pilot house. I've never seen a Desoto truck here either.

Comment

Great find.
                        Like Tom, I noticed the headliner - very rare to see an original.
                        Also the gauges are different than the US trucks - makes it interesting, along with the "support" under the spare tire. I am not sure I have seen that before.
                        On a different note, I wonder if the Aussie guys ever thought about having a PW Rally in Oz some time?. Those here in the US, Canada and other countries, who have a trip to Australia on their bucket list, would have one other interesting event/place to visit while there!
                        Not sure if we could bring STA's along in our luggage though ;)

Comment

Nice find. I hope you keep it as original as possible.

Regarding XZL's. Check the manufacture date before you buy them. I don't think it makes sense to pay big money for old tires, even if they have never touched the ground.

There's some Chinese knockoffs of the XZL that seem to be showing promise here. You might be able to get them down under. We see them on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230973386301 Maybe, you could talk the seller into shipping them your way.

That headliner looks like it may have been added later. Different tailgate and spare tire mount from the U.S. versions. Actually, I think the entire bed is different.

Comment

The truck will be left completely stock, apart from a set of locking hubs, when I find a set that suit.

Those tyres look pretty good, I'll have a further dig into it, thanks.

I can't comment on the headliner having never seen an original.

Comment

Michelins in stock Aus

Hi again Aussiecowboy.
                              I have been doing some detective work and found local (Perth) supply of 255/100R16 XZL tyres.
                              I am waiting on a fixed quotation on supply of five with tubes and flaps and will report the outcome.
                              Michelin Australia ARE stocking them. No reports of any 11.00R16 sitting around the place, but I believe they are too big on our trucks anyway.

Greg.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X