Drum Screws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Screws

Does anyone have a good way to remove the three screws that hold the brake drum on? I've tried the impact wrench and heating the screw head.

I had to weld a bolt to mine to get them out. Ground a 3/8 bolt to a bit of a point and then welded it to the drum screw / bolt , came out easy.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak2 View Post
      Does anyone have a good way to remove the three screws that hold the brake drum on? I've tried the impact wrench and heating the screw head.
      When you say impact wrench you mean the one you hit with a hammer or the one you use for lug nuts? I also had to weld a nut to one of them. Another one I ended up removing the whole assembly (hub and drum) because the screw was just spinning but not loosening, turned out someone had used a nut on the back side after I'm guessing they stripped out the stock holes.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll do the welding trick. Yes, it was the one you hit with a hammer

Comment

drum screws.

I just attacked mine last week. find the center and center punch each screw, drill a 3/16 pilot hole through the head and into the threads, follow this with a 1/4 drillbit then 11/32. the heads should come off when you put a small chisel in the slot and tap . the remaining screw threads in the hub usuallt come out with visegrips.

Comment

The key to getting out the screws is using the right tool. Never try to get the screws out with an undersized screwdriver. You will likely mess up the slot, then you have to resort to drilling them out or welding on a nut. Regular screw drivers, even the largest one you are likely to have, are too small.

Use a tool that completely fills the slot of the screw. I use a drag link socket and an impact wrench. It never hurts to put some penetrant on the screws a couple days ahead of time.

With an impact wrench, you can lean into the screw to keep the bit from popping out.

Comment

I ended up drilling them which worked. The big screw driver is a good idea. Will make something for next time!

Comment

I have a tremendously oversized 2 foot standard screwdriver with a tip that is perfect for those screws. The shaft of the screwdriver is full length through the end of the handle. You can give it a solid smack and then turn the square shaft with a crescent wrench. I believe I bought it at Napa for around 25 dollars. It has been a lifesaver!
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Screws

I have been trying to get my front drums off for a day or two. Are these three screws on the front or back near the major and minor adjustments? I have tried various pullers with no success. I have not taken out any screws yet. If anyone has a picture that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Comment

In front of drum between the wheel studs.
                    Clean ,scrape you'll see them. There flush with the drum face.
                    TGP
                    WDX & Misc. Pics.
                    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                    "47" Dodge WDX WW
                    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                    "54" Willys M38A1
                    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

If the drums move out a little ways but then stop, the problem is probably the shoes. If the friction material has worn off the shoes, the shoes will score the drums preventing the drum from sliding over the shoes. Make sure you have the shoes adjusted all the way in.

Taking out the screws that hold the drum onto the hub may or may not help. But, it may allow you to rock the drum a little from side-to-side. If the drums won't move at all, the wheel cylinders may be stuck in an expanded position. Will the drums turn by hand?

Wire brush off the face of the drum, you shouldn't have any trouble finding the slotted screws we are talking about. The face of the screws is almost the size of a dime. By the way, removing the screws is a job in itself.

It's been awhile, but I believe the best answer is to take the lock nuts off the adjusters and drive the adjusters past the backing plate thus freeing the brake shoes.

Comment

cut an air impact screw driver head to fit the screw and use a vice grip or crescent wrench to turn the screw driver head as you operate the impact wrench. Heat also helps. Once the screws are out there are threaded holes you can insert the same bolts that are used to pull out the the axle (they are mounted/stored in the rear axle) but a longer bolt will work better to get the drum off the brake shoes.

Comment

Working...
                        X