what are they worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are they worth?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and been thinking of fixing up an old power wagon for a while now. Just curious as to what these trucks are going for in "restorable" condition? I have seen several that need a ton of work and I would almost call them "donor" condition and they want a pretty penny for them. What is a reasonable price for a fixer upper?

On a second note, can someone clear up Dodge's labeling of power wagons for me? For example, the 1960's models? There were w series and then another series that looked like the 40's and 50' models? I am more interested in the looks of the original style.

Thanks, Jeff

The early Power Wagons with the external fenders were called WDX Power Wagons. As production continued they were labeled as W300M Power Wagons and in the1960's were called WM300 Power Wagons. Very few changes were made throughout production, but the WM300 Power Wagon was much different than the W series Power Wagon, which was produced at the same time.

With regard to value, these trucks are all over the board. It would be best for you to take some time and watch the classifieds here on this site, in the Power Wagon Advertiser Magazine, and at dodgepowerwagon.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have been keeping an eye out in some of the classifieds but thought it was strange when I would see a w300 power wagon in the heading and click on it only to find out it was the wrong style. Weird that Dodge would keep the nomenclature so close when the models were nothing alike. I will keep an eye out in the classifieds. I paid for a trial issue of the adviser but have not seen it yet.

The last truck I did was a 1970 3/4 ton Chevy 4x4. Had a lot of fun doing it but had to sell it a few years back with the economy the way it was. I bought that one from an old farmer for $500 and it was a mess. Had to let it go for $15,000.

Comment

Reply.

The thing with the "flat fender", WDX/WM300 trucks is that if you find one cheap, it's either a fluke or rotten. Buying a solid, running and driving one with an original bed for less than $5000 is, for lack of a better term, impossible. The cost of parts is staggering at times (a complete bed= $5000, a windshield frame and glass= $1000), and basically nothing interchanges with another model of vehicle, save for the engine/sometimes transmission. If you are wanting to buy one to fix up and sell, you will lose money on it, every single time. The reason they sell for $30-50k restored is because it costs that much to do one... by yourself. To restore one and make it safe for any reasonable highway use, you might as well add another $10k- they aren't swap-and-go trucks, and some of the conversion parts are impossible to buy anymore. Ray Suiter was the only person who made the transmission, steering, engine and transfer case mounts in order to install modern components in one, and a lot of the parts he no longer makes.

Owning one of these trucks is a labor of love, and something that one should think VERY thoroughly about when considering purchasing one for anything other than keeping it for a long, long time. The difference between doing a '70s Chevy truck and a '46-68 Power Wagon is unimaginably huge... although in the Power Wagon's case, it's always worth the effort, regardless of the money spent.

Comment

I would not be doing another project to sell it, I would be keeping it for quite some time. I still think a power wagon would be a great project. I just need to find the right one.

Comment

Spend as much as you can afford and get the nicest truck you can. You will be time, money and effort ahead. I doubt that the "reward" of restoring a flat fender power wagon will be worth if for most people.

Also, buy the paint job you want. If you are satisfied with a weathered, slightly rusted original paint job, then fine, buy a truck with one of those. If you think you are going to want a truck with a nice paint job, buy one of those. Don't think you are going to have a nice paint job put on an old truck for any reasonable amount of money.

Once you start down the road of restoring one of these trucks, it may be years before you actually drive it. Many people start down this road and never drive the truck again after they bring it home.

Three things are important to me: Originality, completeness and condition. A truck that's rusted, incomplete and needing restoration of every moving part is no bargain, regardless of price. A lot of the trucks like you are talking about are only good for parts.

As in most things, patience is the key to finding a good truck.

Comment

GM Harris,
              Well said! Rember that there are no bargains, you
              get what you pay for.
              Rich Szklany

Comment

O.K., we've been dodging around your question. Mainly, because there is no precise answer.

But, I will bite the bullet and answer (rightly or wrongly) based upon what I've seen. You are unlikely to get a truck that I would call worth rebuilding for less than about $10,000. You can buy them for much less, but by the time you add up all the time, effort and money, you'd probably have been better off spending the $10,000.

I've seen one or two trucks on Ebay that looked pretty good at about $5,000. But, those are pretty rare. And, everybody has a story or has heard of someone who got a truck from their next door neighbor etc. for free or nearly so. But, if you are like me, you're unlikely to find that truck, certainly not in any condition better than for parts.

Unless you are a glutton for punishment, look for a truck that is in good driving condition and the current owner has done the heavy lifting already.

A truck that has been sitting in a field for years is not a truck you are going to be able to drive without significant work and expense. Get one that is in decent condition. And, if you want a bed, get a truck with a bed. Trying to get a bed is either an expensive or a difficult proposition. Probably both.

Hint: If you can't just get in the truck start it up and drive it home (a reasonable distance), you are asking for a lot of work. Ask most of us here. And, by the way, a reasonable distance in a FFPW is like 20 miles :)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have seen both ends of the spectrum. I guess the old saying is true- One guys junk is another guys gold! I'll just keep looking. I don't mind getting one that needs a lot of work, that's what I enjoy doing- working on a project truck. I just don't want to spend 10k for a parts truck like some guys are asking for.

Comment

One another note- when does the monthly power wagon adviser come out? I sent money in early June for a trial copy and have not seen anything yet.

Comment

You may or may not know that the founder of the Power Wagon Advertiser was sick and recently passed away.

Arrangements have been made for the web site and magazine to continue. But, I'd guess things are pretty much in turmoil. Hopefully, some patience will pay off with things returning to more normal in the future.

Comment

Thats sad news, I sorry to hear that. I was unaware. Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                        X