Cab mount help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab mount help

The cab mounts in my 57 have more or less disintegrated, I have bought the cab mount kit from vintage power wagon but I am a bit confused, there are four pieces, one has two rubber bushes, one has four and the other two have three rubber bushes. As mine are so far gone I'm having trouble matching up what goes where, can anyone help me out with some advice or pictures?

The left front uses a rubber bushing between the cab and mounting bracket.
    No rubber bushing under the bracket. just washer and nut.

The other three corners get a rubber bushing above and below the mounting bracket.
    Hope this helps.
    TGP
    WDX & Misc. Pics.
    http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
    "47" Dodge WDX WW
    "52" Dodge M-37 WW
    "54" Willys M38A1
    "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
    "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
    "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
    "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
    "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
    "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
      The left front uses a rubber bushing between the cab and mounting bracket.
      No rubber bushing under the bracket. just washer and nut.

The other three corners get a rubber bushing above and below the mounting bracket.
      Hope this helps.
      TGP
      Thanks for your reply Tom. I'm guessing that two of the rubber bushes make one spacer, so the one with two bushes goes on the front left, the others get tow above and one below, still not sure where the one with four goes.

Comment

Originally posted by aussiecowboy View Post
        Thanks for your reply Tom. I'm guessing that two of the rubber bushes make one spacer, so the one with two bushes goes on the front left, the others get tow above and one below, still not sure where the one with four goes.
        If you have enough rubbers to make it up the way I said then yes.

Originally the left front got a harder rubber insulator than the rest.
        So the aftermarket is not going to produce all those separate parts, they just make one size fits all.

I would call Vintage and ask. Not sure why one would have 4 bushings, unless
        They just randomly bolt them together for shipping?
        TGP
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

What purpose do the bushings below the mount serve? Why the difference in the left front? Just curious.

Comment

With the way it's mounted Dodge figured the cab is less subjected to frame distortion.

Also btw;
            aussiecowboy

After reviewing my manuals I noticed that the,

Left Front uses one Thick rubber between cab and bracket. Nothing under the bracket.

Right Front uses thick rubber between cab and bracket and thick rubber under the bracket.

Both Rears use a thin rubber between cab and mount, thick rubber under the mount.

Also shim as required between upper rubber and cab on all four corners as
            Needed for cab alignment.

Tom
            WDX & Misc. Pics.
            "47" Dodge WDX WW
            "52" Dodge M-37 WW
            "54" Willys M38A1
            "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
              What purpose do the bushings below the mount serve? Why the difference in the left front? Just curious.
              The front left mount is different because of the proximity to the steering column. Excess movement there caused the steering column tube to crack/break where it clamps to the steering box. If you are Down-under, and your steering in on the right side, you want that single hard spacer on the front right side of the cab, not the left.

I no longer attach the steering column tube directly to the steering box neck. Instead, I cut the tube so it is about a 1/2" away and use heavy straight rubber hose, splinted with PVC pipe and clamps. This gives a flexible, watertight connection between steering column and steering gear, and it can be covered with an appropriate CV boot to make it look like OEM.

CD
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
              1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor
              1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
              UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
                The front left mount is different because of the proximity to the steering column. Excess movement there caused the steering column tube to crack/break where it clamps to the steering box. If you are Down-under, and your steering in on the right side, you want that single hard spacer on the front right side of the cab, not the left.

I no longer attach the steering column tube directly to the steering box neck. Instead, I cut the tube so it is about a 1/2" away and use heavy straight rubber hose, splinted with PVC pipe and clamps. This gives a flexible, watertight connection between steering column and steering gear, and it can be covered with an appropriate CV boot to make it look like OEM.

CD
                I like the way you think CD..

This wise man (^) is prolly correct about our right hand drives Heath.

Greg.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cheyenne Dave;10713

If you are Down-under, and your steering in on the right side, you want that single hard spacer on the front right side of the cab, not the left.

CD[/QUOTE]

Good point Dave.

I didn't pay enough attention to his location because it's not listed, Although
                  His "handle" should of been a clue!
                  Thanks for clarifying left or right hand drive.
                  TGP
                  WDX & Misc. Pics.
                  "47" Dodge WDX WW
                  "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                  "54" Willys M38A1
                  "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post

CD
                    Excellent explanation regarding the left front and steering issues, thanks!

Now, why the rubber under the mount? It doesn't seem like that would do anything? Obviously, I'm missing something. :)

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post

Now, why the rubber under the mount? It doesn't seem like that would do anything? Obviously, I'm missing something. :)
                      Clark,
                      It allows the cab to flex independent of the frame at those points.
                      The upper allows for some cushion and give, while the lower allows for flex(give) upward.
                      Otherwise the doors would probably "pop" open more than they already do!
                      TGP
                      WDX & Misc. Pics.
                      "47" Dodge WDX WW
                      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                      "54" Willys M38A1
                      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Petroff View Post
                        Clark,
                        It allows the cab to flex independent of the frame at those points.
                        The upper allows for some cushion and give, while the lower allows for flex(give) upward.
                        Otherwise the doors would probably "pop" open more than they already do!
                        TGP
                        Thanks Tom, that makes sense.

Comment

The application of the lower rubber pad would make even more sense if you looked at early B-1 and WDX cab mounting systems. The 3 corners of the cab, away from the "steering" corner, used a coil spring with a castellated nut, on the underside of the cab perch.

I opted for 3-point mounting systems for both cab and bed. I know I have some pix somewhere, just need to hunt them up...or take more.

cd
                          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Hey CD, did you ever find those pics? Love to see them.

Thanks!
                            Clark

Comment

Still hunting up the album. Then I will scan and get those pix posted.
                              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                              X