After Type Shift Tower...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
    This is a picture of what I was talking about on Joe's site relative to the "slot".
    If this area is worn it will result in sloppy shifting, if not repaired.
    Thanks for the pic. Hopefully, I'll be able to get mine out to inspect it. :)

Comment

What condition is the cover in, with respect to the shift rail bores? Are they badly pitted too?

You are at a stage that allows replacement of every component that you are able to source. I would be especially suspect of all springs coming out of such a hostile (wet,rusty,etc) environment.

This is also a good time to scrutinize your manual and exploded parts diagrams to make sure you have everything required, and that it goes back together properly.

If you are in any way unsure as to the build-worthiness of this shift tower, you could likely source one in better shape, one that may be more worthy of your investments of time and resources.

cd
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Originally posted by Cheyenne Dave View Post
        What condition is the cover in, with respect to the shift rail bores? Are they badly pitted too?

You are at a stage that allows replacement of every component that you are able to source. I would be especially suspect of all springs coming out of such a hostile (wet,rusty,etc) environment.

This is also a good time to scrutinize your manual and exploded parts diagrams to make sure you have everything required, and that it goes back together properly.

If you are in any way unsure as to the build-worthiness of this shift tower, you could likely source one in better shape, one that may be more worthy of your investments of time and resources.

cd
        Thanks CD. The shift tower is in good condition. I am going to see what I can replace since I am at this point of dis-assembly. Once I find out want is available I'll make a decision on finishing this tower rebuild. I'm still fighting with the large spring and shift lever.

Comment

I forgot to mention, you need to hold your mouth juuuust right to get that big spring out.

cd
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Finally got the spring out. Yes, it unscrews just as suggested. Took a lot of finesse, a pair of vise grips and channel locks. The shift ball pin channel was perfect, no wallowing out like is common with these. Cleaned it up, painted it and reassembled.

I also fixed my "no reverse" problem. The reverse spring assembly was frozen. After some serious cleaning, it works as it should.

Now, does anyone have a diagram showing the placement of the balls, springs, interlocks and cap parts for the shift rails? My manuals show different transmission setups. I don't have the correct manual for this tranny (1955 "after-type")?

Thanks,
            Clark
            Attached Files

Comment

Finally finished up with my Transmission tower project. Got it all back together and installed in the truck. Works great and solved my "no reverse" problem. Now functions like new. Top pic shows what I started with.

On to the "next thing"...

Thanks,
              Clark
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X