steering knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering knuckle

I've been trying to separate the upper and lower steering knuckles on my FFPW. I'm having trouble with the alignment pins as they seem to be frozen in. I've tried hitting them with a drift pin and large hammer, but they refuse to move. Can they be drilled out and replaced? Does anyone have a way of removing them? I'm not sure if they are original as it seems as a nut has been working on it in the past.

They could be, but need to be careful with alignment so you don't mess up the alignment holes. I'd try working it from both sides with some penetrating fluid before I jump into drilling them out. They're tough parts they can take the beating.

If you do drill them start small and work up, make sure you stay centered and try knocking it out between sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak2 View Post
      I've been trying to separate the upper and lower steering knuckles on my FFPW. I'm having trouble with the alignment pins as they seem to be frozen in. I've tried hitting them with a drift pin and large hammer, but they refuse to move. Can they be drilled out and replaced? Does anyone have a way of removing them? I'm not sure if they are original as it seems as a nut has been working on it in the past.
      First, be sure to have the knuckle halves bolted together, with both upper and lower trunion bearings in place, then try driving the pins up from the bottom, using a drift that is as close as possible in diameter to the pin.

cd
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Pins

Thanks guys. I will try them from the bottom prior to drilling. This vehicle has no felt seals, just a heavy coating of grease.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak2 View Post
          Thanks guys. I will try them from the bottom prior to drilling. This vehicle has no felt seals, just a heavy coating of grease.
          `I would avoid drilling the alignment dowels out. Here is another method you could try:

If you haven't already done so, remove the knuckle-felt retainers and wheel spindle.

Next, remove the 4 nut & bolt assemblies that hold the two knuckle halves together.

Using a heavy brass drift and a 3lb. hammer, drive the lower half from the upper half, at the parting plane (where the two halves meet).

The alignment dowels will be stuck, half exposed, in one half or the other, where they will be much easier to deal with.

Good luck!

cd
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
          1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor
          1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
          UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Pins

HI Guys,
            I ended up drilling the pins and driving them out with a 5/16" dowel.They came out easily after drilling. Unsure why it was necessary to drill as they didn't look rusty or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
            X