No announcement yet.

putting a 833 overdrive in a 1950 P.W.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• putting a 833 overdrive in a 1950 P.W.

Hi im new here and was wondering if anyone has put a 833 overdrive trans. in a 1950 power wagon. And if so how it was done. The original trans of my truck is gone & the one someone replaced it with the bolt holes didn't line up. So they broke the ears off and used washers to hold it in place. I have a 833 overdrive laying around. I was thinking that the .73 4th gear would help with road speed and MPG. Thanks

Is that an automatic? Not real familiar with all the different tranny numbers. I don't know of anyone putting one behind the six in our trucks, but I'm not saying it hasn't been done.

Since they car and truck sixes used the same bolt pattern if I remember correctly that would probably be the best place to start looking. I'm sure it would be more likely in a car then our trucks because the next question would be if it would fit in front of the stock transfer case? The original trans is very short and the intermediate shaft is pretty short as well.

My guess is by the time you got all the parts and made all the adjustments to get it to fit you'd be far more money then replacing the manual, let alone time involved, and that's all still behind the stock 6. Probably be the same trouble and money to put a V8/Auto in place at that point.

Comment

833od

Side loader behind the leaning towers of power.. no granny gear, though. I've never heard of anyone putting one in a PW either, but that didn't keep me from buying a couple, just in case I decided on a slant six repower.

I imagine you could get it to work behind the flathead..

Comment

Oh, that makes it a little easier. Not having a granny probably isn't a huge issue if you don't plan on lots of towing, the original gearing is plenty low in most cases.

One of the trickiest parts of any of those swaps will be getting all the levers mounted where they belong. The transfer case and e-brake levers all mount to the trans on a Power Wagon. You'd need to figure out how to get it all back where it belongs, or redesign the setup.

Comment

Working...
        X