Winch Attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch Attachment

Does anyone have any pics of how to assemble a winch to the frame/bumper? I have a flat straight style one on my WM300 and was hoping to cut off the ends and fab them out forward off the end of the frame and place the winch between. Any thoughts or visual info?

I'm confused. Are we talking the factory MU-2 winch, or an aftermarket modern electric winch? The factory one wouldn't need anything fabricated unless you have damaged or missing parts.

For an aftermarket winch it would heavily depend on what your setup is, I could think of lots of interesting ideas depending on how it's designed to mount and how much fab you want to do.

Pictures if you have them would be the easiest way to come up to speed.

Comment

Sorry about that...hate to confuse! The first few pics in this link show the bumper that I have. http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...ad.php?t=14063 I want to install one of the two stock style Tulsa/Braden winches that came with the truck.
      Thinking that I could leave that center section where the license plate is, and build forward off of that cutting off and using the two bumper ears that I have. I saw that the conventional way is to run extensions off the frame but there is a lot of existing structure in what I have already and cutting it all out doesn't look that great....and you can see from some of the other pics the frame that I have (all fixed BTW) that it's better to leave well enough alone..

Comment

Hard to get a feel for what that structure looks like and how it's tied in from those photos, as the frame extensions just bolt into the C-frame and the whole bumper assembly moves forward to make room for the winch. Either way you're basically going to need to do the same thing, even if you don't use original style extensions to do it. The issue with a stock style winch is you need it mounted low enough that the PTO input clears the front frame member.

Big question first would be if you plan on keeping the plow. If so that does affect how much room you have to mount a winch and where it can go.

Comment

Yeah, I would want to keep the plow possible. I'll get some of the structure pics tomorrow that were put in for the plow attachment.

Comment

Here is a picture showing the winch attachment for a truck with a 230. For the non-winch truck with solid bumper, you would remove the bumper, insert the winch extensions (230 or 251) and then mount the winch bumperettes to the frame extensions. The holes in the front of the frame on a non-winch truck differ from the winch models, but that's no big deal.

Comment

Another photo.

Comment

Terrific detail shots, thanks. I had been unable to find anything showing that much visual info on the web.
                My only rub now is the plow, I have seen only one photo of a truck with both. The plow mounts hung down from below the bumper, I just have to figure if I want to sacrifice ground clearance for the ability to plow in the winter. Right now I use my Kubota which gets old when it's 0* outside.

Comment

Have you seen Clint's Good Roads Plow information? http://www.t137.com/ClintDixon/GoodRoads/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
                    Have you seen Clint's Good Roads Plow information? http://www.t137.com/ClintDixon/GoodRoads/index.html
                    As my grandmother used to say "If it was a snake, it would have bit me..."

Comment

Working...
                    X