Rear shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shocks

Who has rear shocks on their truck? Do they make a huge difference running with no load? Are the parts available to add them to a truck that doesn't have them?

Looking at my '48 and wondering if I should think about adding rear shocks.

I have em on my truck, but I never knew what it was like to drive it without them. But think about it, its a one ton truck, those shocks aren't going to do much for smoothing out a stack of springs that are 12 or 13 leafs thick.

Just my two cents

Mounts are out there, and sometimes expensive since not many trucks had them.

Comment

Came on my truck, but have just now started driving it around a little. Don't have any idea if they help or not? Nick is right, with the 12 pack springs in the rear, I don't think they'll come into play until a substantial load is in the back. Here are a couple of shots of mine...

Clark

Comment

The rear shocks are another accessory that many trucks did not have.
        I decided to add them to my '52. I bought the mounts, but had to fabricate the "stiffener" plates for the frame, visible in your pictures. IT was not difficult to do this.
        I only think the shocks work when there is a heavy load on the bed and you hit a bump.

Comment

thanks for the insights, I think I will stick to the way the truck is for now. If I happen across the mounts someday I may add them but for now I'll go without.

I will probably take my spring packs apart and clean them up so they will be free to move and not a solid rusted mass. I have read that its not a good idea to paint the leaves except for the sides after they are back together. Does anyone have a special dry lube they use when assembling the spring packs?

Comment

Shocks

There is a complete shock set up on ebay. It's been posted for some time now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-19...ht_1955wt_1362
            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Hey Clark

I see in your pics your leaf springs are one stack, on my truck its 12 leafs, but above that there is another stack of 6 leafs is that aftermarket or a dodge set up ?

Comment

springs

Perhaps Cheyenne Dave will weigh in, he is currently working on a truck that has the somewhat rare overload springs that you might be describing.
                Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by preaction View Post
                  I see in your pics your leaf springs are one stack, on my truck its 12 leafs, but above that there is another stack of 6 leafs is that aftermarket or a dodge set up ?
                  From my manuals, there were four options for rear springs:
                  1) 11 leaf - 2500lb capacity
                  2) 12 leaf - 2500lb capacity
                  3) 14 leaf - 2500lb capacity
                  4) 14 leaf - 3000lb capacity

I would imagine any other combination was a "custom" setup.

Clark

Comment

I now feel fortunate I have a 46 and 47. The 46 had rear shocks and the 47 is my main truck I just put the shock setup on the 47 because it was there ,I was not aware it was so rare. Pretty beefy brackets on this setup.

Comment

Working...
                    X