Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheyenne Dave!

Hello CD,

I'm looking for info on your lift bed. I am considering a flatbed for my PW and like the lift bed concept. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Clark

Hey Clark!

Sorry for my tardy reply, I have not been on-line in a few days.

The base dump mechanism on my truck was built by St.Paul Hoist. There are a couple other units around on Power Wagons that I am aware of and they were owned by Ron Daly and Jay Good.

Ron had the original dump bed and lift frame on his truck, last I saw it, while I only have a few original components and fabricated the rest.

This is a simple hydraulic hoist that is powered by the trucks PTO. The lift cylinder is also the reservoir and is power up-gravity down system.

I have lots of photos and more info, if you have specific questions please let me know.

cd
    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
    1954 Ford 860 tractor
    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

CD, I would love to see close ups of the dump mechanism and how it is mounted/plumbed to the truck? It sounds interesting that it runs off the PTO. Some details about the bed itself too? Width/length/construction? Did you make the bed? Or was it already on the truck when you got it?

Thanks! I'm finally getting around to thinking about what I'm going to put on my truck.

Clark

Comment

Well, I started looking around for some pix for you and realized I was shooting film when I did that project. I am pretty sure I can dig up some digital images that may show more detail.

I wrote an article for the PWA that was published in Feb/March of 2004. The main thrust was frame repair but it touched often on issues related to the dump bed. It may be a good idea to contact Matt for a reprint, as there are some issues covered that may be of interest to you, especially if you are thinking about a dump bed.

All of the bed and dump frame are my fabrications. Re-tasked are the hydraulic cylinder, pump and the main steel members that let the cylinder and ram interface with the rest of the assembly.

I will try to answer more specific questions as they come up.

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

This pic shows how there are actually two main components; the dump bed and the dump bed frame.

The bed frame is mounted to the truck chassis and is the assembly to which the hydraulics, bed pivots and latch details are affixed. It handles the pushing forces associated with that big hydraulic cylinder trying to lift a heavily loaded bed.

The bed is mounted at 3 points to the bed frame, the two pivot pins at the rear end and a goose neck trailer hitch under the head board. The ball is mounted on the bed frame. Over uneven terrain, this arrangement allows the bed to articulate freely without affecting the truck's chassis. I have mounted my cab in similar fashion.

I rimmed the bed with channel iron, facing out. This allows for unlimited tie-down access for straps or chain binders while giving marker lights a secure and armored location. In rough country they make for excellent slide rails. The bed is also the base for the mud flap brackets, which are from a Freightliner tractor.

Also built under the bed is a safety brace. This allows work to be done under the raised bed without fear of getting accidentally crushed. In this picture it is not deployed.
          cd
          Attached Files
          1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
          1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
          1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

This image shows various ways of attaching cargo on the bed. The tool box is attached to the head board with turn buckles while the Marsdon matting is retained with a ratchet strap.

This first gen, bed deck was made with to layers of CDX plywood, enveloped in Armacoat, a hot-spray-on urethane bed-liner coating. It worked very well for years but ultimately rotted from within. The new bed is Hem-Fir 2 x 8, which gets deck stain every couple of years. All fasteners are Stainless.

The lift arms/bed frame is tubular steel which allows limitless options for wiring. It also allows for a sound mounting location for the spare tire, or what Carl Buckingham refers to as my Hill Billy Satellite dish. It is also home for both license plates, resolving a years-old issue of moving them out my/harms way.

cd
            Attached Files
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Lots of room to play with under the bed. Spare drive shafts, air tank, air lines, compressor pressure switch, all live neatly under, in and around the dump frame.

cddcp_5718.jpg

GUS_Bedstrip 002.jpg
              Attached Files
              1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
              1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
              1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

In person this truck will far exceed your expectations. It is amazing!
                1967 W200.aka.Hank
                1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

EXCELLENT!!!! That was what I was looking for. Now to digest all of the information and formulate some intelligent questions...

Thanks for posting them!
                  Clark

Comment

That's a nice bed setup there Dave! I'm interested in seeing/hearing more about your 3-point cab mount system. I'm thinking of doing the same thing for my 6x6 PW cab
                    Greg Coffin
                    Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                    1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                    1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                    1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                    1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                    1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                      EXCELLENT!!!! That was what I was looking for. Now to digest all of the information and formulate some intelligent questions...

Thanks for posting them!
                      Clark
                      Here is a page from the Master Parts List covering Dodge Trucks built for the United States Army, 1940 -1943. It illustrates how simple the dump frame can be. It would need to be modified somewhat, to fit specific frame applications.

cd
                      Attached Files
                      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                      1954 Ford 860 tractor

Comment

Working...
                      X