Putting in a new motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting in a new motor

Hi all . I'm putting in a new 230 in my 46 WDX, I took one out of my other trucks a while back and it was a bear of a pull. Firewall clearance was tight and it was a tough removal.

Any suggestions for this weekends pull? With trans? Without? Any suggestions from experience is appreciated. Just want this to go hopefully as easy as doing my old chevy 😀. I've pulled many engines in my past, but the first flathead pull was a beast, maybe that is the way it just is or am I missing something?

Thanx in advance.

Are you removing the front clip to pull the engine? That should give you plenty of room to go forward.

I think the biggest issue with pulling the motor and trans will be the rear engine mounts. I pulled the trans down separately when I did mine, but that was a while ago and I was doing a full disassembly.

Comment

Was planning to keep the sheet metal all on. I had the most trouble clearing the rear motor mounts. I pulled it with the trans left in place. So is it best to drop the trans first?

Comment

I have also fount it to be so much easier to pull the front clip to remove and install the engine. It just seems to make life easier.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowanogre View Post
          I have also fount it to be so much easier to pull the front clip to remove and install the engine. It just seems to make life easier.
          I agree, just had a similar issue clearing the rear drivers side motor mount.
          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

There are only a few bolts holding the front clip in place. Two under the radiator, one at the back of the splash guard on each side, the three at the bottom of each fender, and the two cowl support rods.

Only other thing then is the headlight wiring and you can lift all the forward sheet metal off at once with a friend or just the engine hoist.

Comment

Thanx for all the replies and advice, I'm going to take lots of pics and also have a bunch from over the past several months to post. One thing that I found very cool was finding some old marker lights off an REO Speedwagon and turning them into fender mount signal lights, they look period, stock and great.

Comment

Working...
              X