Need to change tires on combat rims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to change tires on combat rims!

Well I bought a brand new shiny set of 9.00-16 super lugs with new tubes and flaps for the 57.
    Now I got to get the tires off the rims! I was going to let most of the air out of the tires and do a couple figure eights at slow speed to try and brake the beads on the tires. Im not worried about the existing tires they are going to be planters or something of the sort. If I cant get the apart myself I guess I'll load them up and head to the tire repair facility.

They can be on there good sometimes. Do you have a logsplitter? Or backhoe? hehe

Comment

tire removal.

I was talking to a local retired dpw mechanic about old power wagons, He remembers putting the wheel on the ground, standing a 55 gallon steel drum open end facing the tire and applying pressure from a backhoe. I haven't tried it myself but he claims it worked beautifully.

Comment

The backhoe sound like a great idea!
        I'm just not sure about the 50 gallon drum.
        I'm sure it is going to be a chore.
        The hammer at farm and fleet is available and I used to do split rims at Belle Tire as a kid. In my 50s this should prove to be quite a workout.

Comment

Take a spray bottle, or a bucket with a little bit of dish soap, then fill it up with water to make a soapy sudsy mix. Pour it over the beads and let it soak. Ive done this numerous times while changing rims. And changing tires between rims. Ive let it sit for a few hours to a day, depending on the rim and tire. And Ive never had any problems. I just walk around the bead, and Im not a big guy, and I can break them loose. Once or twice I think I drove the front end of my Dakota over the bead to break it, but Ive been able to do most just by soaking and walking. Granted its not fast, but I don't have access to a lot of stuff to do it with. Works for me. Im in my late 40s almost 50, and it always seems to be just a little work, but nothing I wouldn't do again

Comment

well I have 3 mounted, lota work!
            I found one of the rims was rusted out the other three looked mint inside and out and my spare was a standard bud rim.
            I put the best of the old tires on the spare and have that on the truck now.
            I guess Ill post a parts wanted add and see what comes up.
            Thanks for all the great suggestions.
            It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Comment

Working...
            X