Engine rebuild questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine rebuild questions

I will admit that I am a shade tree mechanic. I have rebuilt a couple engines but those were 20 years ago. I deiced to take this flathead on and see if I can still do it.

I am re building my 230 and started to take some measurements on the bearings and cylinders. My problem is I want to know when a re bore is due and when you can just re ring. Maybe I am not looking in the correct place but I can't find what the standard piston size is for a 230 flathead. Anyone know?

I took all my cylinder measurements and know the bore is 3.25" but what is the standard piston size? 3.23? 3.22? How many thousands under the bore size is it? Right now my max cylinder size is 3.2520 with taper and out of round being within spec although there are a couple of cylinders close to max out of round at the top.

I will get a standard 230 Piston in my hand later today and give you the measurements.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Per the Chrysler industrial engine manual

Maximum allowable cylinder bore taper 0.020in

Maximum allowable cylinder bore out of round 0.005

I hope this helps a little.
      1967 W200.aka.Hank
      1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
      2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Yep, thanks, got those numbers. My max taper is .0018 and OOR is .0004 on three of my cylinders

Comment

After taking measurements on the cam and crank I am leaning toward just a re ring and fresh bearings. I realize I am getting close to the wear limits of needing a boring and oversized pistons but I don't plan on this truck getting more than 2-3000 miles a year at the very most. It's going to be a weekend "fun" vehicle not a daily driver. Just freshening up the motor should be fine for now.

Comment

well I decided to go ahead and bore it out. I can't bring myself to cheap out if I have it torn down this far. New pistons and rings going to be ordered tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X