Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window regulator

Hi folks,
    new poster working on 49 civilian. Can any one tell me if window regulators are the same for vent and solid door window.
    Thanks much
    rayocaballo

Window regulators

They are different. From what I know, both will fit in our trucks but there is a difference. I had to learn this the hard way! I posted on this topic a while ago, you might want to take a look here. I uploaded a picture with full window regulator on the left, and vent type on the right. Tried to post it again, but the site won't let me :-)

http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/...read.php?t=233

Hope this helps!

Tim
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks Tim great info. I'm a Wyoming boy also.

Comment

regulators

Welcome to the PW family! This site has been incredibly helpful to me throughout my rebuild - which is still in process! If you think of it, please share info on your truck and what you are doing with it. A fair number of us Wyomingites are rescuing these majestic vehicles!

Tim
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Tim my truck was originally from a logging place in Idaho. I have never seen a truck more used and abused in my life. In the 60 plus years of its life it has never saw a night under cover. The reason I purchased this truck is it has never been modified in any way, just run in till it died and left sit for I'm guessing at least 40years. There is not one part or piece that does not need rebuilt or replaced. Im getting buyers remorse but I will finish this P.W. if it takes the rest of my life . Like every one on this site relies once you get the Power Wagon bug it will never go away. Thanks again for the info sure I will need tons more.
          Ron

Comment

Apparently later style trucks used the vent style regulator for both types of windows, with the lower window channel being different between a the vented and non-vented windows. I've never seen this myself though.

When I converted mine from vent to non-vent I ended up having to buy the non-vent regulators, you can also get new non-vent lower window channels as well, but they are designed for the non-vent regulators.

Are you trying to convert from one style to the other or just replace a bad unit? Conversions also require some other parts, and you have to make sure you have the right mounting points in the doors.

Comment

HI Desoto 61, I was going to convert to non vent thought It would be simpler but I just may stay with vent type. Glass have been broke out of both doors and every things real crusty. Thanks for the great info.

Comment

Originally posted by rayocaballo View Post
                Tim my truck was originally from a logging place in Idaho. I have never seen a truck more used and abused in my life. In the 60 plus years of its life it has never saw a night under cover. The reason I purchased this truck is it has never been modified in any way, just run in till it died and left sit for I'm guessing at least 40years. There is not one part or piece that does not need rebuilt or replaced. Im getting buyers remorse but I will finish this P.W. if it takes the rest of my life . Like every one on this site relies once you get the Power Wagon bug it will never go away. Thanks again for the info sure I will need tons more.
                Ron
                After a build up like that you have to post pictures.

Comment

The front window channel run is different and your door needs to have the bolting locations for it at the front of the door. I think all the vent window doors were stamped for non-vent window channel, but maybe not the other way around? There should be a series of recessed holes at the front of the interior panel area in line with the front of the window opening. You need the regulators, lower window channel and this front guide channel to do a swap, besides the new glass of course.

If you could find the right later lower channel apparently you could just re-use your regulators but you'd still need the rest. The vent windows have more parts to fix/replace but probably are nicer if you're keeping a stock truck. I have three sets of guts if you need any parts. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Desoto1 sure helps getting all the knowledgeable advice from everyone, I think I will stay with the vent windows. I have never done door channel and glass replacement before so I thought the less parts the easier, but like you said I should keep it original.

Comment

Originally posted by rayocaballo View Post
                      Thanks Desoto1 sure helps getting all the knowledgeable advice from everyone, I think I will stay with the vent windows. I have never done door channel and glass replacement before so I thought the less parts the easier, but like you said I should keep it original.
                      It's definitely easier to install the non-vent windows, but if you have to go dig up all the parts you need then I'm not sure how much of a benefit it is. I went that direction because I think they [vent windows] make the cab feel smaller, and it's already small, plus with AC in my truck the vent windows aren't as big of a sell. Plus like you said, even more parts to replace/repair/refurbish.

Comment

Working...
                      X