Grease Zircs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease Zircs

I've always known it takes me a while to completely grease my truck during service. When friends ask how many grease zircs I have, my response was always I don't know, but there are A LOT!

Out of completely idle curiosity, I decided to count them as they were greased. Here is what I came up with:

Trans to T-case propeller shaft - 3
    T-case to rear axle propeller shaft - 3
    T-case to front axle propeller shaft - 3
    PTO front shaft to winch - 4
    PTO rear shafts to pillow block - 5
    Pillow block - 1
    Winch - 2
    Springs @3 per wheel - 12
    clutch fork and pedal - 3
    brake pedal - 1
    drag link - 2
    knuckles - 2
    Tie rod - 2

Total for my truck is 43.... phew that is a LOT! No wonder these trucks are still on the road :-)
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Do you have one on your water pump? My '46 had a zerk on the water pump.

Frank

Comment

zirc on water pump

Good eye Frank! My old water pump had a zirc, but sadly the new pump does not have one. 44 would have been a nice round number :-)
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Winch should have 3 fittings.
        One each side of drum and one the right support.
        And one on my water pump "45"

That's why I now use an Electric gun.
        Tom
        WDX & Misc. Pics.
        http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
        "47" Dodge WDX WW
        "52" Dodge M-37 WW
        "54" Willys M38A1
        "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
        "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
        "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
        "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
        "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
        "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

Winch zirc

Thanks Tom!
          I missed one side of the winch drum. Breaking out my grease gun now and incrementing my count.
          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

Looks like I have some work to do, I'll need to replace about 39 of these.

Comment

I just counted the zerks on my 6x6 Power Wagon - 43! I have a 318 in it, so no water pump fitting, and I'm running a hydraulic drive on my winch, so minus 2 for the PTO joints, though I still have one on the shear pin sleeve. My power brake bracket adds 3!
              Greg Coffin
              Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
              1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
              1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
              1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
              1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
              1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

I added a grease zerk to the fill plug on my steering box, plus I have one on the fire wall mounted pivot for the Monroe Lift control and 4 on the lift itself. 51 for me.

How about the additional oil wicks and/or cups/holes on the starter, generator, distributor, and speedometer? 6 total.

And then there are the two differentials, transmission, transfer case, winch gearbox, belt pulley, and governor that need to have fluid levels checked.

Doing a lube job on two trucks ends up being an all day job for me, even with an air powered grease gun, once I wipe up all the old that oozes out.

Did I mention cleaning the fuel filters, gaping points and plugs, and topping off the brake fluid?

Junior

Comment

Ha Ha! You win Clint! I like your use of a zirc on the steering box. Do you use standard grease, or corn head? Mine always likes to drip out the gear oil so this might be a better way to go.
                  Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                  2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

I use straight corn head grease. I used to mix grease and 140 gear lube 50/50. That seemed to separate and continue to leak. The corn head grease stays in place much better.

I forgot, there are 4 grease fittings on the Good Roads plow when that is attached. And if I am cutting wood with the cordwood saw, that adds another 2.

I am now worn out just thinking about the maintenance. ;^)

Junior

Comment

Working...
                    X