My 1948 FFPW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1948 FFPW

Hi all. I've been a forum member for quite a few years. I re-found the forum after being gone for, apparently, 10 years. Dang.

Anyway, after a college friend got me interested in old trucks, I got a (free) 1948 PW from my great uncle's family (so my mom's cousins). The truck is a bit rough (driven by braille, is what I say), but solid. It'll run and drive without an issue. Brakes will work, after pumping them a few times. Heat works, last I knew. AC is totally broken. =) Side windows don't work or don't exist. Winch works fine. I've lost a 2 or 3 lug nuts, and some of the lug nut holes are wobbed out. Tires obviously suck, but still hold air!

I have a 4 year old son, and the hope is that we can spend some garage time together on it. Probably won't even start for a few more years, really, but he has liked all trucks for 3+ of his 4 years. I'm sure it'll be mostly me by myself, but the "project" aspect of it has made it a non-issue to be taking up space in the garage.

I plan to do somewhat of a "resto-mod" on it. I'd like to do the disc brake conversion. I'm somewhat tempted to convert to 12V, though likely not. The trans is sloppy as a......well, something really sloppy. I'd like to put a syncro trans in it for drivability, but I'm not sure about finding one honestly. Not sure what to do about the tires/wheels. Maybe put a radio/stereo in it, charging outlets, etc. Other than that, straighten things out and get everything in good working order, and paint it up. I don't need show quality, but I want it to be in-town drivable on a daily-ish basis.

I do have a question about titles though. I need to get it titled (I've only had it for a dozen years, what's the rush now?!). Hypothetically, I might have the original title, but hypothetically the aforementioned friend suggested that I'd want to keep it. As such, hypothetically I need to apply for a lost title. Now, the original owner that is on the title has passed on, but I have contact with the executor of the estate. Does anyone know *exactly* what I need to do? I could hypothetically have found a copy of the original title. I could get the executor to write a letter explaining the gift (or $1 sale or whatever). Does anyone have a pre-canned letter? Does anyone know what form numbers I would need? I'm in Michigan.........

And now, the only part many are interested in......pictures.
    Please ignore the crud (ladders, junk, kiddie pool, etc. etc.) piled on and around the truck. I was just taking some pics to show a friend that knows body work, and figured I'd post this here....

Here is a slideshow (11 pics, maybe..):
    http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/ae...how/PowerWagon

an overall pic if you don't want to go to the slideshow (also in the slideshow):

Welcome back, And what a wonderful truck you have!
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Nice truck!

A lost title shouldn't be too hard to get. Michigan DMV should have instructions online.

Comment

I actually found the form/section!

http://www.dmv.com/mi/michigan/title-transfer
        (Transfer of Title Following Death of Vehicle Owner)

Some years back, I could find no such form.

I just need to get the VIN and title number filled in, and then get it signed by the executor, whom I've already emailed.

Looking at ebay, i didn't realize the value of the old girl.....

Mine is a *little* rougher than this one, but is very comparable. My interior and windows are junk. Nearly $20K! Dang.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311460546634...MakeTrack=true

Comment

Could you post pictures of the snow plow setup? I'd love to have your truck! Jim

Comment

If I can find them, yeah. Server crash.....

I plowed with it for at least 2 or 3 years with it.
            Then a RT3 boss.
            Then a tractor with 6' blower.

Comment

When I bought my truck the owner gave me the original 1946 title, he had never re-titled it. So like you I wanted to keep it, I ended up writing the Secretary of Transportation for my state and requested that I be able to keep the original title due to historical value.

He ended up sending a letter back stating that I could and I just took it with me to the DMV. The lady at the counter was pretty confused but her supervisor was really helpful and thought it was very cool that I got to keep it. They were just required to write VOID across it, which is fine with me since there will be no confusion in the future.

It was honestly a pretty painless experience for dealing with the DMV.

Good luck with the truck! Looks like fun, you're way ahead of where I started.

Comment

I uploaded something like 18 more pictures. The dates are all wrong. These are from like 2001 or something.

Some of it in the snow, some of it in it's homeland (with the barn), one of the garage I pulled it out of, the trip home, spare parts, etc.

http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/ae...?sort=3&page=1

It's a pain to post every photo, so you'll have to go to the album........

but here's a couple:

Comment

48 powerwagon

Glad to see your pics. I am working on a 48 powerwagon as well. I am going to install a 315 hemi with a np420 trans. This is my first post so I will post some pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by 48powerwagon View Post
                    np420 trans.
                    Where are you getting it from? How much?

Does it just bolt right up, or require a bunch of adaptation?

I'd like a syncro trans. I wish I could just "convert" mine, but I doubt that's possible.

Comment

I too am working on a 48 PW. I should post some pics, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Re 48 powerwagon

The 315 came out of a 59 dodge truck. The motor had a rod sticking out of the oil pan. The bellhousing came with it. I since have rebuilt the motor with 10 to 1 forged pistons and had the cam reground at Schneider racing cams. I got a 3 deuce intake on it and fired it up last week to break in the cam. I bought a np420 trans out of a 64 powerwagon. I believe all I have to do is plug and redrill to mount the transmission. I have been reading and learning from everyone's post.

Comment

Re 48 powerwagon

I found the hemi on Craigslist. The owner thought it was a 354 but I checked the block serial numbers and told him it's a 315 with a hole in the oil pan. For 350 I got the motor and bellhousing. After boring 20 over, finding a good crank, and many parts from Hot Heads I got the motor together. I would say I've got over 6 grand in the motor now to give you an idea. "Remember anyone can drive a Chevy, not everyone can afford a Hemi !"

Comment

I like the truck man. Nice looking farm too. I bet if you took all of those extra parts outa the bed you'd only have two wheels on the ground, ha. Looks like it can push some snow. I can't wait to finish mine and see how much snow I don't have to plow.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                              I too am working on a 48 PW. I should post some pics, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
                              Well get to it man! Haha. Like I have room to talk. I have a basement-finishing project that is tops on the list (haven't started that yet either).

Originally posted by 48powerwagon View Post
                              I bought a np420 trans out of a 64 powerwagon. I believe all I have to do is plug and redrill to mount the transmission.
                              Would be real curious how the trans works out. I'm going to keep the same motor though, so my situation will be different. I'd love to find a comprehensive write-up on an otherwise stock NP420 upgrade. Maybe a list of what trucks that trans is in, too. I'm not sure how bad it will be driving the stock trans either though. It's just so sloppy, and my rolling resistance is so high, I literally can't shift before I stop. Maybe I'll start stock, regarding the trans, and do that as a later upgrade if I deem it required.

Originally posted by JReed View Post
                              I like the truck man. Nice looking farm too.
                              Grandma's farm. Over 100 acres on 2 lakes in the UP of MI. It's OK.. =)

Comment

Working...
                              X