Brake line diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line diameter

Working on a frame off 52' B-3-PW and just removed the brake lines. Measured them up and came out with two different sizes 5/16" and 1/4". Wondering if this is normal or did someone "upgrade" the braking system back when? Also, is there a specific brand/type brake line and fitting you guys like to use on these trucks? Thanks. Andy

If I remember right those are the sizes I used on my 48.

I ran all new lines just a few months ago. I used cunifer from Federal Hill. It's the first time I used it but I loved how easy it is to work with.

I used Federal Hill tool rental too for the new lines. Made flaring a breeze. I would defiantly do it that way again if I had to

Comment

Now that I think about it most of the 5/16 lines were fuel. There might have been a 5/16 from the master cylinder to the tee but everything past that was 1/4

Comment

Getting ready to redo my brake lines. Agree with Dutch, should be 5/16 from Master cylinder to T and then 1/4 from T to axles. One difference in mine is that I have a vacuum brake booster so there is a bunch of 5/16 that goes from the Master cylinder to Brake booster and 5/16 from Booster to the T.

I am going to experiment with Cupro Nickel lines because I hope their flexibility will make installation easier.
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I also have a remote brake booster, on the frame rail, about as far back as the transfer case. I cut the brake line out in sections and plan to use it as a template when putting new line back in. My lines were kinked/crushed in a few tight places along the frame rail, which explains why the previous owner had a heck of a time getting the brakes dialed in.

Dutch, my fuel line is 1/2" o.d.

Comment

I also will replace mine sometime with the cupro as Tim says. They are starting to rust significantly after about 7 years now.

Comment

I have to say that this was my first experience with copper nickel lines and I have to say it is great stuff to work with. Now that I have used it I can't say I would ever go back to steel.

Comment

Does the cupro come in straight pieces or in a coil? Does it work the same as steel (double fare) and compatible with standard brass fittings? where's a good reliable source for the line and fittings? Sorry for all the questions, but never heard or used cupro.

Comment

Lots of different brands of the stuff. I got mine here- http://store.fedhillusa.com It is a little pricey but they offer a flaring tool rental that is really nice. It makes perfect flares every time. The line usually comes in coils but is so easy to work with you can straiten it out with ease.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'll measure up what I need and see what the damage comes out to.

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                    Lots of different brands of the stuff. I got mine here- http://store.fedhillusa.com It is a little pricey but they offer a flaring tool rental that is really nice. It makes perfect flares every time. The line usually comes in coils but is so easy to work with you can straiten it out with ease.

Comment

cupro

I bought mine on Ebay, plan on about $2/foot. I am operating on the assumption my double flare tool with standard fittings will work.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/400783187814...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Any double flare tool should work and yes standard fittings too. I thought about buying a tool but honestly I would not use it that often and the tool they rent is like a $700+ tool (maybe more, I can't remember exactly). I have used cheap flaring tools before and getting consistent good flares can be a challenge. But then again, I was flaring steel which is a lot different than this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X