No announcement yet.

Talk me into or out of saving these...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk me into or out of saving these...

I've finally got my *** in gear to clean out my shop so I have room to work on my '48 and '67 Power Wagons. My '48 has the dual PTO and rear belt pulley. I've been collecting parts for years now but am trying to thin the herd so I'm only keeping what is good enough to use. I have the bedsides attached that in my opinion are most likely too far gone. There's rot through everywhere, and it's all very wavy. The pics actually make them out to be a lot better than they are. Is there any use keeping these, even if they are not salvageable?
    Attached Files

More pics.

More...
    Attached Files

Comment

Bed sides

I just had the same problem. Purchased reproduction sides for my truck and held onto a similar set of OEM sides for a couple years. Finally decided that I would never fix them and with reproductions available I didn't think anybody else would want them. Mine ended up as salvage......
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thank you! I just needed validation and to hear it from someone else.

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
        I just had the same problem. Purchased reproduction sides for my truck and held onto a similar set of OEM sides for a couple years. Finally decided that I would never fix them and with reproductions available I didn't think anybody else would want them. Mine ended up as salvage......

Comment

There are some of us who would be happy to have that to start from. I'd work at salvaging those sides. Here in Ohio that would be a good find. I'm planning to rebuild a second series bed in that condition. I have a shorter two wheel drive bed to cut some of the stamped sections from for patches. It won't be real pretty but I'm going for the survivor look so it should blend in. Jim

Comment

I admire your courage, but there isn't any metal that is salvageable here. You can't even pick it up without it folding in on itself. What metal is there is paper thin, if it isn't rotted through. The only reason I thought about keeping them was to use as a model/template for building some from scratch.

Originally posted by bobyepsr View Post
            There are some of us who would be happy to have that to start from. I'd work at salvaging those sides. Here in Ohio that would be a good find. I'm planning to rebuild a second series bed in that condition. I have a shorter two wheel drive bed to cut some of the stamped sections from for patches. It won't be real pretty but I'm going for the survivor look so it should blend in. Jim

Comment

If you are looking to part with that rear belt pulley I know of a truck looking for one!!

Wayne

Comment

Haha, I don't think I'll be parting with that, but if you happen to find a mechanical governor...

Originally posted by wayneh View Post
                If you are looking to part with that rear belt pulley I know of a truck looking for one!!

Wayne

Comment

Someone may want those sides, even just for parts or a template. Offer them for free or scrap value and see if anyone takes them. You might be surprised. I've given away and sold things that I was sure no one would want, and I've picked up a few treasures that others thought were worthless.
                  Greg Coffin
                  Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                  1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                  1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                  1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                  1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                  1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

In my own world I would pull the hardware and the stake pockets and ditch the rest sadly enough. But give someone a chance to be there new caretaker first.
                    1967 W200.aka.Hank
                    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
                    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
                    X