Dual Master cylinder that fits my 52' B3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Master cylinder that fits my 52' B3

I've been all through the archives looking for ideas, manufacturers, and part numbers for dual M.S. that fit my truck. My current M.S. has some pretty good pitting so I need to re-sleeve, or replace, anyhow-- might as go the safer route.

Sticking with the 4 wheel drums and I also have a remote booster (if it works is another story). Looking for a good replacement that I can source locally (NAPA/Car Quest). Any help is appreciated.

I suspect this is a topic that has been beat to death-- judging by a lack of response. I've decided to keep the original and have it re-sleeved. I'll look through the archives to find someone who performs this service.

Comment

If you have a slope top master, keep it and get it resleeved. A stainless steel sleeve will last a lifetime. I tossed my original master years ago and wish I'd kept it.

There is no off-the-shelf dual circuit master cylinder that will bolt up in the original location. Also, you will need 2 remote boosters to get power brakes on both brake circuits.

If you are looking for an easy way to have a dual circuit master cylinder and power brakes, I sell a bracket kit that will let you install that and keep your original pedal. Email me if you are interested - click on my name in the upper left corner of this post and hit the email link. More details can be seen here
      Greg Coffin
      Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
      1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
      1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
      1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
      1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
      1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Originally posted by Ammo View Post
        I've been all through the archives looking for ideas, manufacturers, and part numbers for dual M.S. that fit my truck. My current M.S. has some pretty good pitting so I need to re-sleeve, or replace, anyhow-- might as go the safer route.

Sticking with the 4 wheel drums and I also have a remote booster (if it works is another story). Looking for a good replacement that I can source locally (NAPA/Car Quest). Any help is appreciated.
        On my '52 I have the replacement single master, and also a midland booster for all four drum brakes. This makes a HUGE difference on braking performance.
        I think VPW has these boosters and probably the number is available. Also, if you source a used one you can get it rebuilt, but that is not cheap.

There is a link on the best of the forum section I think on Joe's page callled Ken and Lindas power wagon page. They adapted a dual chamber master to the older power wagon. They might have done what Greg has done, not sure.

Comment

Ken and Linda's page shows how to mount a dual circuit master cylinder in the factory location. It looks like it fits pretty well. I don't remember any details on how it performed, or what the bore size was. There isn't enough room to mount a vacuum booster, so you would have to run 2 remote Midland boosters somewhere.

My kit mounts a standard vacuum booster and master cylinder under the floor of the cab.
          Greg Coffin

1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes

Comment

I've decided to keep everything on the truck stock. I don't think there is a replacement part on this PW. It sat in a firehouse surplus storage shed for a lot of years. Has 8000 miles so I think it will be more valuable left stock.

Just boxed up to sent to Apple Hydraulics in N.Y..

Thanks for the advice and links to help me out.

Comment

Sounds good, keep us informed on the restoration.
              Greg Coffin

Comment

Working...
              X