draining differentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draining differentials

I have read the archives and they say to look for a 3/8 drain plug in the rear and front differentials. i have cleaned these off and do not have a drain plug in either. i read you can drill and tap for a 3/8npt plug. do I drill at the bottom of the pumpkins in the center looking from front to back?

Drain Plug

I couldn't find one of my pictures, so I found one on the web. If you look closely the plug is on the lowest part of the BACK side of both pumpkins and could be easily missed. It's in a flange that is barely larger than the drain plug. I would look some more before I start drilling.
    Attached Files
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Thanks. looked again and found the plug on the front differential. looks like it broke off flush. could not find anything on the back but your picture tells me where to drill one in. thanks

Comment

Glad you found one! I might not have been entirely clear. Plug is on opposite side of the propeller shaft. Front differential plug faces front of truck and rear differential plug faces the back. You probably knew that but just wanted to clarify!
        Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
        2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

They are an 1/8 in pipe thread plug. Most had a small square male head on the plug. I have had several that were broken off. Thankfully I have always had success drilling them ever so slightly tap a screw extractor into them and get them out without to much force.
          Mattew
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I have been able to enlarge a few to a 1/4" plug, where the original 1/8" hole was not salvageable.

CD
            1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
            1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
            2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
            1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
            1954 Ford 860 tractor
            1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
            UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

luckily I was able to get the broken one out and replaced. Changed the fluid in both and good to go; well not really, on to the brake line now!

Comment

Working...
              X