• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1954 c-3 carburetor

From the link of clints
    http://www.t137.com/ClintDixon/carburetors.htm

I have figured my truck either came with the e7s1 or the e7t2

Would the e7s1 have only been an option if you had the optional rear PTO. Or not? Or could it have came with a truck that just had the front PTO.
    Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

The truck is an original swivel frame so I'm figuring there was no way it could have ever had the rear PTO.

Correction its a 54 c-1 not a c-3

Comment

54 Carb

The early square top carbs E7S1 ( Also ET1, ET2, ET4, E7F1) were designed to be used with the King-Seeley mechanical engine governor option which accompanied the rear output PTO. If a 1953-58 truck was special ordered with the mechanical engine governor option they were fitted with the old E7S1 square top carburetor.
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Good information Tim!
        Happy THanksgiving.
        "Polaris", the square top carbs can be temperamental (esp if rebuilt with "modern" kits) but are pretty reliable if one understands their quirks. My '52 has the original E7S1 and came from the factory without a winch or rear pto.

Comment

Since its a swivel frame and we cant add a rear PTO I think I am going to go with the E7t2. I guess no one knows or will know for sure which carb it originally had on it, since it has a Stromberg on it now.

Comment

If you are not a stickler for it being completely original, a slightly more modern "round top" carb might be better. As I understand it the round top carbs had a mechanically activated accelerator pump in them and thus had less hesitation tendency compared to square top.

Comment

I have an E7T2 on my 55, it is the original carb. The truck did not come with a winch or the rear PTO setup. I've rebuilt it and it runs great.

I have added the winch and rear PTO. Is there something special about the square top carbs that came with this setup or is it just that that's what came on those vehicles at the time? Just curious, I'm so far from stock that I don't care about being original, but if the square top carb is somehow "better" for running the winch or rear PTO, then maybe I'll switch?

Thanks!
              Clark

Comment

square top

Clark-

My post is from research done by Clint Dixon in 2001 on the King Seeley mechanical governor. He states that the mechanical governor works best with a square top carb that has the integral velocity governor. Wish I could give more detail.
                Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
                  Clark-

My post is from research done by Clint Dixon in 2001 on the King Seeley mechanical governor. He states that the mechanical governor works best with a square top carb that has the integral velocity governor. Wish I could give more detail.
                  Ok, got it. Thanks for the response. I guess I'll keep my E7T2 since I don't have an external mechanical governor. :)

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
                    Clark-

Additionally, the oil bath air cleaners differ from square-top and all other round-top carbs, and are not interchangeable.

I sourced a Carter 413-S carb for GUS, as they were found on higher-end applications (Chrysler, Packard,etc), and I have been very pleased with the performance.

cd
                    1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
                    1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
                    2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
                    1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
                    1954 Ford 860 tractor
                    1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
                    UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Working...
                    X