Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case rear seal on my fairly new toy

Gents
    Recently obtained a 1954 VPW and going thru various issues to get her up and going.
    Filled all the axles, transmission and transfer case.
    The next morning I had a puddle of gear oil 2ft across under the rear of the transfer case.
    Anybody know the part number for the rear seal? and the easiest way to get it changed out in the truck?

Also thought I send a photo of the truck, but couldn't find a attachment clip?
    It says below you may not post attachments?

Captain Colorado

Try National 473468, it's a more modern design. You should also look at getting the repair sleeve for that size seal (the number I found was redi sleeve 99212). Often the issue is the sealing surface on the shaft is worn or pitted and even a new seal alone won't solve the issue.

You have to be a magazine or web site subscriber to attach photos, otherwise you have to link to a photo from uploaded to another site like flickr or google.

Comment

Desoto

I am a subscriber, but couldn't find simple instructions to load a photo.

I will pull the yoke and see what it looks like.
      Thank you

Comment

Mark,

You need to update your profile with your Subscriber Number to be activated on the FORUM as a Subscriber.

Also you don't have to upload/attach a photo to the forum, you can link to it. To link to it the photo has to reside on a public web server that allows photo links/urls.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L. Griffin View Post
          Gents
          Recently obtained a 1954 VPW and going thru various issues to get her up and going.
          Filled all the axles, transmission and transfer case.
          The next morning I had a puddle of gear oil 2ft across under the rear of the transfer case.
          Anybody know the part number for the rear seal? and the easiest way to get it changed out in the truck?

Also thought I send a photo of the truck, but couldn't find a attachment clip?
          It says below you may not post attachments?

Captain Colorado
          The use of VITON seals in the t/case will provide much longer service life. The case tends to run on the warm side, the temp rating for Viton seal material is much higher than a traditional 410308 seal or any other material I've seen. I'm not in the shop today, but can furnish a part number if you will contact me tomorrow. We have used Viton in our rebuilt cases for several years with 0 issues.

Comment

Seal Removal

Pulled the driveshaft, yoke (in great shape) then tried extracting the seal.
            It came out in three pieces:
            1. Outside cover and felt seal
            2. Cover and rubber seal
            3. Inside cover

I assume the new seal will all be sandwiched in one?

I think I'm going with Charles reco of the Viton seal. Ill touch base with him in the AM and get the replacement #

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Seal Removal

Pulled the driveshaft, yoke (in great shape) then tried extracting the seal.
              It came out in three pieces:
              1. Outside cover and felt seal
              2. Cover and rubber seal
              3. Inside cover

I assume the new seal will all be sandwiched in one?

I think I'm going with Charles reco of the Viton seal. Ill touch base with him in the AM and get the replacement #

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Seal purgatory

Let me revise my last post.
                I removed the driveline, yoke nut and yoke.
                I pulled the seal out in the following order:
                1. Felt seal #1502929
                2. Rubber seal #XXXXXX (number unreadable)
                3. Metal sleeve that held both of #1 and #2

I now believe the last repair involved sleeve #3 to reduce the size of the seals #1 and #2.

I searched all over locally and bought a NAPA labeled Viton high temp seal #21215. The Napa guy said the replacement seal for the #1 felt seal was NAPA part number 21213. I drove across town to pick up that seal and it turns out to be the same seal as 21215, but in regular rubber, not felt "wiper" material.

Seals 21215 and seal 21213 both measure 3.070
                The #2 seal above measures 2.980.
                The metal sleeve apparently making up the difference.

The question now is how to proceed. Install 21215 then 21213 and call it good?
                Or should I pursue a felt wiper seal like #1?
                I think peanut butter may do the trick also (from Ric Tudor).

Any ideas?
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L. Griffin View Post
                  Let me revise my last post.
                  I removed the driveline, yoke nut and yoke.
                  I pulled the seal out in the following order:
                  1. Felt seal #1502929
                  2. Rubber seal #XXXXXX (number unreadable)
                  3. Metal sleeve that held both of #1 and #2

I now believe the last repair involved sleeve #3 to reduce the size of the seals #1 and #2.

I searched all over locally and bought a NAPA labeled Viton high temp seal #21215. The Napa guy said the replacement seal for the #1 felt seal was NAPA part number 21213. I drove across town to pick up that seal and it turns out to be the same seal as 21215, but in regular rubber, not felt "wiper" material.

Seals 21215 and seal 21213 both measure 3.070
                  The #2 seal above measures 2.980.
                  The metal sleeve apparently making up the difference.

The question now is how to proceed. Install 21215 then 21213 and call it good?
                  Or should I pursue a felt wiper seal like #1?
                  I think peanut butter may do the trick also (from Ric Tudor).

Any ideas?
                  Mark
                  The felt seal is nothing but trouble down the road, don't use it is my advice based on lessons learned the hard way. It will do nothing but trap and hold moisture like a magnet does metal, which will cause rust pitting on the yoke seal mating surface. *TIP*: Install a #99212 speedi-sleeve on the yoke regardless of how good it looks. Reason, the original seal surface prep on the yoke was machined for a leather seal. That surface is rough enough not to work well with VITON or the synthetic rubber material. If you don't use a sleeve, (been there, done that) likelihood of a drip still being a problem is pretty high.

*TIP*: Put a good bead of silicone sealant on the nut flange or flat washer (which ever you have) so when you torque the nut silicone is forced into the shaft splines. If you don't do this, oil will find its way down the splines and leak around the nut.

Comment

Working...
                  X