Electric fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric fuel pump

I need to replace the electric fuel pump on my 1955 PW. any recommendations? I see that VPW as one for about $100.00, but I also see Summit has a Airtex E8012S that looks like it would work at only $26.00. What are you guys using?

Originally posted by jdepiero View Post
    I need to replace the electric fuel pump on my 1955 PW. any recommendations? I see that VPW as one for about $100.00, but I also see Summit has a Airtex E8012S that looks like it would work at only $26.00. What are you guys using?
    I'll admit up front that I don't know the first thing about either of these units you mention. What I do know without doubt is you get what you pay for. That being said, I would do some research in both directions to see what the differences really are. I can also tell you this; you need a pump that supplies a max pressure of only 4 PSI, more than that will result in excessive pressure overwhelming the needle valve at the carb bowl inlet line connection, causing a flooding condition. If the pump has more than 4 PSI max capability, you will need to install a pressure regulator so it can be keep under control.

Comment

electric fuel pump

Charles,
      Great info about over pressure. you are certainly correct when you say you get what you pay for. I will call VPM in the morning to get the specs on theirs. The one from Summit is 5.5-9 PSI, so it looks like it will not be the best choice. Just for my own information, does the original Mechanical pump put out exactly 4 PSI or does it have some variance?

Comment

Originally posted by jdepiero View Post
        Charles,
        Great info about over pressure. you are certainly correct when you say you get what you pay for. I will call VPM in the morning to get the specs on theirs. The one from Summit is 5.5-9 PSI, so it looks like it will not be the best choice. Just for my own information, does the original Mechanical pump put out exactly 4 PSI or does it have some variance?
        Some variance, but not a lot at all.

Comment

I am using a Carter rotary vane type pump. If memory serves me, the pump is a Carter 4070. This pump puts out 6 lbs of pressure. I also run a regulator, and a return line for excess fuel to go back to the tank. While at it, I added a large fuel filter between the tank and the pump. The pump has been on the truck for about five years, or so, and so far, no reliability problems. I do need to pick up a spare, however. Should the pump fail, it would be an easy swap to put the new pump in place.

I have heard good things about Walbro pumps. I have no personal experience with them, but their reputation seems to be quite high. It would be worth checking out. http://www.walbro.com/media/39712/Recip5-8-13.pdf
          John

Comment

X2 for the Carter 4070, I haven't run them in my PW but in both my Datsun 510 vintage race car and 510 street car. The one in my street car has been in for 13 years with zero issues.

Comment

You can get one from Moss motors, used on British cars, puts out abt 4 psi, part # 377-420, sells for 79.99. Tim

Comment

I had forgotten about Moss, I got a couple of their gear reduction starters for the hi comp motors in the cars mentioned above and they're great.

Comment

fuel pump

X3 for Carter 4070. Large fuel filter between tank and pump. My only complaint is the pump is a bit noisy.
                  Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                  2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by 53Crusher View Post
                    X3 for Carter 4070. Large fuel filter between tank and pump. My only complaint is the pump is a bit noisy.
                    VERY true, isolating helps, but it does buzz. My rigs are so loud anyway, that it's not really an issue. Nor would it be, I doubt, on a PW.

Comment

Electric fuel pump

did you use a pressure regulator with the Carter

Comment

I did, but only because the dual side draft carbs are very sensitive to fuel pressure. Not sure about these single barrel ones.

Comment

Working...
                        X