front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front springs

what is the distance between the center of the front spring and the bottom of the frame?

Do you have the original springs or aftermarket springs? If original, are they the early tapered leaves with grease grooves, or later clipped leaves without grease grooves? Are the springs the 1110 lb capacity, 1150 lb capacity, or 1600 lb capacity packs? Is your truck winch or non-winch? What is your GVW - 7600, 8700, or 9500 lb? Is your truck an early model or a late model?

One can measure the distance on a random sample of any WDX-WM300 models out there and the results will vary widely depending upon all of the above mentioned options and how each particular vehicle was used and maintained.

Generally what I have noted over the years in the trucks I have examined, the front springs should be nearly flat to having a slight positive arch. A negative arch would most likely suggest the front was/is overloaded, the spring pack was/is too light duty for the particular truck, and/or the truck was used hard. When I first got into the hobby, I used to see more springs with more of a positive arch than what I do today. But that was over 30 years ago. Some of those same springs are now twice the age they were back then.

If you study factory photos of Power-Wagons, when new, the front of the truck (unloaded) sat noticeably lower than the rear of the truck.

I think you can see my point.

Comment

Working...
    X