Fuel Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge

Is there a way to tell if my fuel gage is 12 volt or 6 volt?

Fuel Gauge

I believe that gauges up through 1954 were 6 volt, 55 and up are 12 volt.
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Fuel Fauge

I believe 1955 was a 'transition' year. My '55 is 6 volt. Probably some later models were 12 volt. By 1956, all were 12 volt. Also, with transmissions. Mine is non - synchro. Later 1955's, synchro. Don't know if all 6 volt trucks were non - synchro and all 12 volt trucks were synchro during the transition. I think there was also a winch capacity rating change during this period. I'm just thinking. Possibly the plant of manufacture played a part in the transition?

Comment

I am thinking mine is a 6 volt since the amp gage is 50-0-50. does my logic sound reasonable?

Comment

Fuel Gauge

Yes...I was going to mention about the ammeter. I believe the 12 volt the gauge read 30-0-30.

Comment

amp gauge

Sorry, I have to disagree with your amp gauge logic.

Very early models had two black faced gauges on each side of the steering wheel. The fuel gauge was 6V and amp gauge was 35 - 35. My 1953 has all four gauges in the same cluster and they are grey faced with 6V fuel gauge - Amp gauge has 50 - 50 on it.

Pretty sure that the later black faced 12V fuel gauges around 55 also have amp gauges with 50 -50 on them. Wouldn't use that as your guide.

It would probably help all of us if you indicated what year of truck you have :-)

Early 6V fuel gauges had a two wire fuel sender ( three posts on the back) and later 6V fuel gauges had a one wire fuel sender ( two posts on the back). Depending on the year of your truck, these clues can also help.
            Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
            2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

it is a 1955,ser# 83946xxx. It is 12 Volt but it looks like a conversion.
              The fuel gage has 2 posts. None of the gages work

Comment

Fuel Gauge

The water temp. and oil pressure gauges are mechanical so they don't factor in. The ammeter doesn't care about voltage. That leaves the fuel gauge. If truck was converted to 12 volts, or ever jumped with 12 volts, chances are the gauge is 'cooked' anyway.

Comment

12v fuel gauge

I was afraid you would say your truck is a 55 :-)

Only other clue you could look for is if a resistor is wired in-line to your gauge. Would indicate somebody took the time to convert to 12V correctly as the gauge would still be 6V with a resistor to drop the voltage.

On a positive note, you can still get NOS 12V Black faced fuel gauges.
                  VPW has them for sale. Much harder to find the earlier 6V grey faced and black faced gauges.
                  Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
                  2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Comment

I would agree with grover26. Your gauge is most likely cooked if it does not work. Probably the easiest thing to do is decide if you want to keep the "conversion looking" 12-volt parts, go with more correct looking 12-volt, or switch to 6-volt. Then, you can buy the correct fuel gauge to fit what you decide to do. Since it is a '55 model, and there appears to be no record of when the change from 6-volt to 12-volt took place, you can probably get away with going with which ever voltage you prefer and a blind man on a fast horse will never notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint Dixon View Post
                      Since it is a '55 model, and there appears to be no record of when the change from 6-volt to 12-volt took place, you can probably get away with going with which ever voltage you prefer and a blind man on a fast horse will never notice.
                      Maybe not, but you would!
                      And probably that cat in SW Iowa, and a few more!!

TGP
                      WDX & Misc. Pics.
                      http://www.t137.com/cpg/index.php?cat=10010
                      "47" Dodge WDX WW
                      "52" Dodge M-37 WW
                      "54" Willys M38A1
                      "65" Kaiser M35A1 WW
                      "77" Chev. K-30 400T,205,4.56 "No-Spin"
                      "84" Chev, K-30 Cummins 6-BTA 400,205,3.73Locker
                      "86" Chev, M1028A2 (K30) 6.2,400.205,4.56 Locker
                      "99" Dodge Durango "Limited Slip"
                      "99" Dodge 3500 CTD 4x4"No-Spin"

Comment

I have the gauge cluster pulled out and no resister, so my guess it is cooked. I will check with VPW to see what they have. does anyone else carry the gauges?

Comment

Fuel Gauge

A bit late, but if grounding the lead on the sending unit swung the gauge to 'full' it would have indicated that the gauge was good...sender bad.

Comment

Working...
                          X