Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '72 - pre'68 commonality?

Hi all,

Newby/lurker with a question: A local guy is giving away a '72 PW, rusty body but complete chassis. My dream is to own an original style PW but none available here in Hilo, HI. How similar to the original style chassis is the '72? If I could scrounge/ make the body parts, would they fit? Also, does anyone know if the '72 is geared higher in line with the higher speeds of that era vs. the gearing of the earlier models? Thank you.

Rick A

Hi Rick,

I assume the 1972 Power Wagon you are talking about is a W100, W200 or W300? (1/2-ton, 3/4-ton or 1-ton, respectively). I'm pretty sure the original style Power Wagon was no longer made by 1972, so that must be the case. The W100, W200 and W300 have nothing in common with the original-style Power Wagon, other than being made by Dodge. The engine, transmission, transfer case, axles, brakes, suspension, steering, body, etc., are all different and not interchangeable from the original to the other three trucks. In some cases, a few components may be interchangeable amongst the W100, W200 and W300 trucks.

Having said that, from everything I've read and heard, the W100, W200 and W300 Power Wagons from the early '70's were good, solid trucks, so you may still enjoy it and find it useful. But if you are looking for the original version, then those won't fit the bill.

Comment

Thank you, Matt. I figured it'd be too good to be true. Also a shame that nobody else in this area is interested in it and it'll wind up shredded and sent to China.

Rick A

Comment

Wow, that is a shame, Rick. I hope that doesn't happen. I hate the idea of any old iron going to the scrapper, except possibly the ones that are just so far gone that nothing at all is salvageable. But that is usually not the case. There is almost always SOMETHING that can be salvaged, and in this case, it sounds like this truck may be a halfway decent truck for fixing up and using.

Also, I didn't answer the second part to your question, regarding gearing and road speeds. Some of those rigs came with six cylinder engines and some came with V-8's. Some came with pretty low gearing (5.88, I think?) and some with a little higher gearing, in the neighborhood of 4.88. Others may have even come with something a little higher, but I'm not sure. If the one you're talking about came with 4.88 or higher, and a V-8, then it should do ok on highways. It may not do 75 MPH, but with stock tires and 4.88's, it'll probably do 60 or close to 60. With higher gearing, and a V-8, it would go faster, but with a six cylinder, it may lack the power to go a whole lot faster. The front that truck creates a lot of drag. If it came with 5.88's, then it will be limited on road speed to probably 50 MPH or so, whether it has the six or the V-8.

Comment

Thank you, Matt. I completely agree with your philosophy, having worked on steam locomotives, old cars, old machine tools, etc. Unfortunately there's probably not another Power Wagon on this island in need of the parts from this one. He says the body is shot but it's mechanically complete. Someone on the mainland could undoubtedly use it but the cost of shipping would likely defeat that option. If it were a high-end vehicle it'd be worth it.

As far as gear ratios go, there's no place here where one can go over 55 and most traffic is around town at 35-40, so an original low geared PW could keep up with traffic. I asked because I like the idea of not having to run an engine up to it's limit when I need a little burst of speed.

Oh well...

Rick A

Comment

Working...
          X