Steering wheel puller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel puller

Does anyone have a steering wheel puller I can borrow? 52 B-3-PW. Will pay shipping of course. Any help getting this stubborn wheel off would be appreciated.

I haven't had to do this before but wouldn't a standard or modified standard bearing puller work?

Comment

No, there's a special tool required for these type steering wheels.

I ended up making a quick puller out of wood and scrap metal. It's pretty crude but seems to be working. I started a penetrating oil soak so wont really wrench down on the puller for at least a week.

Here's what I made. 4x4 split in half with wood carved out to wrap around backside of steering wheel. Took a little time to get the shape right in hopes of reducing pressure points that could further crack the plastic.

Comment

How did this work? Hopefully it turned out and worked well?
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Still soaking in penetrating oil. I've been snugging up the puller every couple days being careful not to put too much pressure on it. She's on there good! Hopefully I'll have it off by next weekend.

Comment

Nice puller! Now that you have it preloaded with tension give the center screw a whack with a hammer and the wheel will pop off.

Frank

Comment

I agree with Frank, after I had pressure and penetrant on it for about a week,
              I got frustrated and cranked it as tight as possible, then hit it with a hammer.
              It popped off with a loud noise.

Comment

Funny you posted this now Dave. I got frustrated also and took Frank's advice. Snugged it up tight and gave it 3 hard whacks and popped right off. I don't understand why it didn't come off sooner as there was a wet film of penetrant all over the mating surface. Doesn't matter because it's off and in relatively good shape. Thanks guys!
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X