56 W300 deck rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 W300 deck rebuild

Just thought id share my deck that iv been building as the previous deck on my truck was lacking in almost every way. (Once i figure out how to post pictures off my phone)?????

I made my own truck's bed, so I am interested in seeing your pictures.

Comment

Pic of deck

Ya no doubts once i figure out how to post photos on here ill deffinantly get some up. Here ill try this for now ( didnt work)

Comment

Deck removal photos

It was quite an eye opener seeing how this truck was put together before! The wood was pretty much holding the deck together and a 5th wheel plate that the previous owner actually used was held on by 4 grade 8 1/2" bolts THROUGH 2x6'S!!!!!! Holy moly

Comment

Previous owners welded the deck directly to the frame! What a bunch of tossers. Either too much or too little beer was involved in making this old deck

Comment

Starting construction

Materials for the outer frame
            We decided to use 2x5 box tubing because it was strong durable and most of all it was cheaper than 2x5 C channel

I beam for mounting

Tacking the frame up

Comment

Attaching pockets and Drings

Squaring up the outer frame and burning them in

Bed stake pockets welded in. We also boxed. In the open ends on our channel

D rings curtisy of Princess auto

Comment

Mounting solution and cross braces

Full demention 2X6 for the frame to deck boards

The crossmembers are 3"X3" deck rails off of a bridge and have a wall thickness of 1/2"

Front portion is reserved for a storage box soon to be bent up and welded in

Comment

Headache rack build and mounting

Tacking the headache rack in place

1/4" diamond plate on the bottom and expanded wire mesh on the top

This is a really heavy piece

Comment

Test fit and mounting

First test mounting turned out nice

Notice to scrap Ibeam from a combine! Farmers at there best no doubt

Fitten and bolted in! Needed custom 17.5" U bolts to hold the deck down. I ised 4 but have 8 just in case

Comment

Accesories and fuel cap

This recessed gas tank was a really nice touch i thought

CB antenna mount

Needed to get shackels this big because i needed a 2" spacing between cheeks. But if i need to lift the truck onto a ship i know were i can hook up haha

Comment

Mounted and compleated

Really happy with how the deck turned out. Stance looks much better and the truck is going to be much more functional.

Headache rack set high so i can add working lights and maybe a beacon one day

Comment

Painted, fuel line and brought home

The best part of going through town! Stopping for a burger and talking about the truck

Paint went on well and made it look a thousand times better

The fuel filler was a bit expencive but its much better than the rad hose setup they had before. The rad hose was deteriorating and crumbling away. And was actually below the gas tank filler neck. Another bright idea from the previous owners. To be fair there from BC in canada and were probably smoking something when building this thing

Comment

Accessories and wood

Painted a few of my accessories that will be going with the truck. I have a military style jerry can i painted red. An axe and hammer. And will soon be getting a shovel and high lift jack

This is just a plain old Princess auto jerry can i painted red

This is a true temper axe i restored and painted. And i also have an old riggers sledge with a short handle i painted to match

Comment

Wood stain and outer piece fitting

After fitting and adjusting all of my boards i began staining them. I used T&G fir for my boards that are dementional 2x6's. First i used a heavy coat of dark walnut danish oil, then i finished with 2 coats of toung oil. First on raw with no thinner and a second one that was thinned 50/50. Once complete i fitted the outer boards so that both were 3.5" in width

Pretty sharp with outside boards a different color but im gonna stain them anyway. Once there done ill get everything strait and then pre drill through the wood and metal for the large flathead self tappers i have for the decking. Im gonna do 2 screws on either end and one in the middle at every crossmember.

Comment

Working...
                              X