Opinions on driving in public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on driving in public

Hey guys just garing up for a weekend of shows and was wondering what you guys felt about driving on public roads? Scary or not haha. Anyhow i was curious as to what guidlines everyone sets out for themselves when there out and about. Like times they drive, routes they go, precautions taken and all that fun stuff. And may as well include some stories youve had driving and resolutions you made if any. Any how thanks for the replys!

Results of the shakedown cruise

Well it seems that as long as proper turn signaling and gestures are used people are really just happy to see a nice ol truck putting around town. Whod have thunk it eh haha.

Comment

I was proactive in lowering expectations. LOL.

Comment

In the time I've had mine done I know of only 3 accidents that have happened. People gawking and running into the car ahead of them at stop lights and such. You do want to be more aware of others and don't assume they'll stop and such.

I do avoid driving at night anymore. Tried that once and had people over the center line as all they were looking at was the width of the headlights. Our truck are inset like a small car and people don't think about that till they are right up on you.

I normally plan longer trips with larger roads so you aren't riding the edge line when passing oncoming traffic. One other thing I'd suggest is to get a larger fire extinguisher. I carry them in all my older rigs and you don't want to ever have to say, "I wish I would have had one."

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
          I was proactive in lowering expectations. LOL.

50! Holy smoke mine only goes 30 :p

Comment

Planning ahead

Great topic!

I try to select a route that has the least traffic, the least hills, and least traffic lights.

Stopping is always a challenge..so I plan ahead and try not to over drive my stopping distance. (Need to get my Hydravac re-installed - PO removed it??)

My WM300 can to 50, but that's winding it out for sure.

I've installed a high brake light in the rear window, and tap the brakes when people get too close.

I've installed H4 halogens and wired both the cowl lights and fender mounted front and rear facing turn signals to run as daytime running lights.

I liberally use the horn if I think somebody's gonna be stupid and pull out in front of me.

I have an orange "slow machinery" triangle magnetically attached to the tail gate.

Comment

Big City Driving

I try to carefully plan what lanes I need to be in to avoid changing lanes at the last minute.
              Cowl lights are a must-have at night. Sets people's expectations of vehicle width a little better.
              Slow vehicle triangle and right lane whenever possible.

Always leave early.
              Carry some tools.
              Carry some water. It gets hot here in TX!

Comment

Most of us Power Wagon guys shouldn't go into public at all. But when we do, it's a good idea to have our truck with us, as well as a good dog. These things will provide a measure of comfort that you can get in no other way And without them you might start feeling a bit unscrewed.

The world spins a bit too fast for us Power Wagon guys.

Myself I've become a bit of a hermit, and it seems that I'm now beyond reform; unlikely to re-enter the main population. But there was a time when I drove my truck to work everyday. Not a problem, because I was driving in the city on 35mph streets.

But out here in rural NC, it's a whole nuther story. Hmmm. Just typed "whole nuther" and got spellchecked. Said it was improper grammar but that I could change it to whole nut her, which seems a bit improper itself.

Anyway, if you're gonna drive the country two-lane highways in a Power Wagon, bring your dog...talk to him... and do your best to ignore all the people in KIAs, riding your bumper and talking on their cell phones.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Mienke View Post
                  Most of us Power Wagon guys shouldn't go into public at all. But when we do, it's a good idea to have our truck with us, as well as a good dog. These things will provide a measure of comfort that you can get in no other way And without them you might start feeling a bit unscrewed.

The world spins a bit too fast for us Power Wagon guys.

Myself I've become a bit of a hermit, and it seems that I'm now beyond reform; unlikely to re-enter the main population. But there was a time when I drove my truck to work everyday. Not a problem, because I was driving in the city on 35mph streets.

But out here in rural NC, it's a whole nuther story. Hmmm. Just typed "whole nuther" and got spellchecked. Said it was improper grammar but that I could change it to whole nut her, which seems a bit improper itself.

Anyway, if you're gonna drive the country two-lane highways in a Power Wagon, bring your dog...talk to him... and do your best to ignore all the people in KIAs, riding your bumper and talking on their cell phones.
                  Funny stuff, Kevin. Good advice. What tires are you running in that pic? Nice looking truck!

Clark

Comment

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
                    Funny stuff, Kevin. Good advice. What tires are you running in that pic? Nice looking truck!

Clark
                    Those tires are Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials on Bead Lock wheels. It was a good setup for the way I formerly used the truck. But now that I'm doing a diesel repower, I've sold them and gone back to original Budd wheels.

Comment

Driving old power wagons in todays world.

Since, for me, driving my 47 WDX is strictly an optional pastime (other than in the case of "it's good for it", a self serving excuse often used - doesn't fool anybody) I only go out in dry conditions for short distances, and always select the least used routes. Should I get anyone behind me I may elect to pull over to let them by. I drive the truck simply for my enjoyment of it (and often to share the experience.)
                      In the past (80's, early 90's - western Mass) when I actually had PWS that I sometimes used to either get to work or use for work, I drove on the local roads a lot, but it was never really an issue and as mentioned, if I thought I was holding anyone one up I would pull over and let them pass. I have never had anyone express anger when I've been out in a power wagon, and, as you have all probably experienced, usually ended up in at least one conversation about the truck per trip (not to mention high signs etc.) Of course, it is usually right as I am passing someone giving me the thumbs up that I'll blow a down shift, immediately popping the inflating ego. All of my Power Wagon driving has been in relatively rural areas.
                      I have never driven my WDX here in eastern Mass and from experiences I've had driving other old cars around here (which could all keep up with the traffic) I can't be sure that I wouldn't have an occasional problem here. People are extremely self absorbed and in a constant distracted rush in this area. Its "me first" in a big way. Thus I would conclude that you need to know your area, and as always be proactive in defensive driving.
                      But don't stop driving them.
                      David

Comment

While my Dodge isn't a FFPW, it is slow. W600 runs best at about 37 mph. That's great when there is snow/ice on the roads, because then there's not much traffic to deal with.
                        On "normal" days I drive less travelled streets and/or during off peak hours.

And each trip always involves a stop at the gas station. Always!

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                        X