Need help finding a tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding a tachometer

Looking for a period correct looking modern tachometer for my 52' B-3-PW. The engine is a stock 230 with 12V electronic ignition. I would ideally like to keep my dash gauge cluster stock, but want a tachometer. I've done a little searching online but cannot find anything that I like.

Was there ever a stock tach for our trucks? Why not? What are you using, or have you seen a nice tach in someone else's truck? Any help is appreciated.

Tachometer

Originally posted by Ammo View Post
    Looking for a period correct looking modern tachometer for my 52' B-3-PW. The engine is a stock 230 with 12V electronic ignition. I would ideally like to keep my dash gauge cluster stock, but want a tachometer. I've done a little searching online but cannot find anything that I like.

Was there ever a stock tach for our trucks? Why not? What are you using, or have you seen a nice tach in someone else's truck? Any help is appreciated.
    Check out the many projects pictured in our photo galleries, (website shown below). We have used various tachs on different projects. If you see any you like while browsing through the pictures, contact us for further info.

Comment

tachometer

I spent a long time looking for a 5K tachometer which I believe works well with our 230 engines, and finally found a NOS Sun tach on Ebay It had a NOS sender unit as well. Sent it off to have it modernized with digital electronics. Haven't installed it yet, but should be just what I was looking for!
      Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
      2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Tim, is this what you have? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage-...9XkqtC&vxp=mtr

If so, why do you need to send it out? How much does something like that run? I see this getting expensive...

I guess I need to do some more research before purchasing anything. I was under the impression any tach would work with electronic ignition systems. Never heard of sender unit, so that shows how green I am. LOL.

Charles, I really enjoyed looking at your work. I didn't see any close-up pics (or anything that I could make out what it was) of tachometers, unless I missed something.

Comment

Tach Sender

Sun Tachs only work if you also have the sender. The original Sun sender units have two 1.35V mercury batteries. Not easy to find batteries for these. Any number of companies will convert the tach to digital electronics. They can upgrade the tach itself without the need for a sender, or they can upgrade the sender and leave it with a vintage look. That's what I chose to do. I sent it to these guys.
          http://www.williamsons.com/Tachometers.php
          Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
          2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Might be worth looking at speedhut gauges. They make nice units, in the US, with a lifetime electronics warranty, but more importantly they are extremely customizable. They have tachs that have various ranges, have some nice features, and you should be able to find something that looks right, and if not they will do custom designs.

Comment

I just picked one of these up. Don't have it in hand yet but will later today. I wanted something on the smaller side, this is 2 5/8". I've read that it can also be installed into the dash if wanted. I plan to mount it on the steering column. I also wanted an abbreviated range, so the 0 to 4000 rpm works well for the 230 flathead.

http://www.autometer.com/2-5-8-tach-...rev-black.html

Comment

That's the same one I've had for 20+ years. It's great - not too big, doesn't block the speedo, fits the steering column great, and I don't need 0-8000 rpm when my motor will never be pushed above 3000.

One fun factoid - With 4.89 gears and 9.00-16 tires, the tach needle and the stock speedo needle are 'clocked' the same when in 4th gear.
                Greg Coffin
                Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Excellent Greg, glad you like it. I received mine yesterday and it had been opened previously and damaged. So, I sent it back and have another on the way. :( I think it will be a nice addition.

Clark

Comment

Doh!!!
                    Greg Coffin
                    Unrepentant Dodge Enthusiast

1951 Dodge M37 - Bone Stock
                    1958 Dodge M37 - Ex-Forest Service Brush Truck
                    1962 M37-B1 - Work in Progress
                    1962 Dodge WM300 Power Wagon - Factory 251, 4.89s
                    1944/1957 Dodge WM500T 6x6 Power Wagon - LA318-3, NP435, 5.83s, Power Steering, Undercab Power Brakes
                    1974 Dodge W200 - 360/727, Factory Sno-Fighter Package

Comment

Working...
                    X