Brake Booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Booster

When I got my 1949 PW 6 years ago, it had a Remote Booster Pump mounted onto underside of frame on left side just behind the cab. When I disassembled the truck, I set it aside (outdoors). I elected to not use it during my rebuild but now am wondering if I should. The truck just got running again and I already put all new plumbing in for the brake system. My questions are:

1. Has anyone seen this type of Booster before? I have found some very similar ones online but with some slight differences. There are no marking on it other than a Patent Number.

2. If anyone knows what kind or make of Booster this is, can I get a rebuild kit for it, or does it need to be sent out? Since it was outdoors, I noticed that water made its way into it. and some rusty water came out when cleaning it up.

3. Is there a way to test it to see if it needs re-building?

4. Does a Booster pump (like this one) make that much difference in braking? Again, I will need to re-due the brake lines if I am to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files

Brake Booster

I can't help much with your specific booster. I found a used Midland brake booster at the 25th VPW rally and had to do exactly what you are talking about. My brake lines had to be completely redone AGAIN to fit it in. Doc Dave on this forum let me experience his and it nearly threw us through his front windshield. Mine is now equally as good. Only problem is, I acquired a rear PTO belt pulley setup and had to move the booster from behind the cab to behind the rear wheel. Had to redo the brake lines AGAIN!

Do a bit of searching and you will find quite a few discussions on brake boosters. Charles Talbert has done some very nice write ups on the subject.

Wish I could help more!
    Tim Ellis

1953 B4 PW
    2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel

Clean fingernails, free weekends, intact knuckles and financial stability are totally overrated.

Comment

Tim, thanks for the input. I have been looking on line and have found a couple of other models of brake boosters (both say for a Ford) that are much more cost effective but I am trying to find out if these would support the Dodge. I would have to believe that since I would be making the brackets to mount to frame, one of these should work (a truck is a truck right?) The following links are what I am finding.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47362750812

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47362750812

Comment

Here is a source of another unit, that I have seen installed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-VH44-Re...72.m2749.l2649

You always have the option of the Greg Coffin dual circuit booster set up also. Which is a good piece of mind having a seperate circuit for front and rear in the situation of a line or cylinder failure.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Thanks Matt, after talking with Jens, I am first going to remove each of the drums and have them measured. When I started this project (years ago), I had them turned but did not know about over-sized pads so got new OEM ones. I got all the info necessary to determine if I need new 30 or 60 over pads then will consider the booster.

Comment

what do your drums measure at? a new drum is 14.125. max diameter is 14.215. the booster link you showed to the ford I am pretty sure is the same unit that was on your truck. they go by booster diameter. larger diameter for larger trucks. I think that's a 7 or 7.5 inch which is the correct size for a 1 ton. remote boosters work really well. they are still used on foreign medium duty trucks all over the world. But a PW with quality linings and proper shoe adjustment should stop on a dime without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaegi View Post
              what do your drums measure at? a new drum is 14.125. max diameter is 14.215. the booster link you showed to the ford I am pretty sure is the same unit that was on your truck. they go by booster diameter. larger diameter for larger trucks. I think that's a 7 or 7.5 inch which is the correct size for a 1 ton. remote boosters work really well. they are still used on foreign medium duty trucks all over the world. But a PW with quality linings and proper shoe adjustment should stop on a dime without it.
              That was the advise of VPW also, I did have the drums turned (4-5 years ago) when I was actively working on the restoration but did not have them measured. My next step is to remove all drums (marking there location) and having them measured. I will then see if the OEM pads are right for their dia or if I need 30 over pads. Worse case either another set of drums or the disc brake kit (although I really did not want to spend that kind of $$ when I may only drive it 100 miles a year!!)

Comment

Working...
              X