Time to get the Truck on Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get the Truck on Show

Now the weather is improving in Europe and the 'Beast from the East' has melted we can get down to showing the truck.

Keep taking short runs and finding odd issues, last weeks longer trip and the steering started to get stiff.... oil in the steering box helps, works a lot better now.

I was also getting a heavy vibration at about 35-38 mph so changed the offside wheels front to back and from what I can tell on a short run its appears to be better.
    It's still a scary drive on the narrow UK roads with 2.5 tons of 65 year old brakes and steering, especially if the steering is vibrating wildy.

I now intend to put both the Bar grips on the front and use the treaded tyres at the back. Saves having to balance a truck wheel at the lorry workshop if it truly is/was the wheel causing the vibration.

Starter drive pinion failed again as well so flushed it out 'again' and ordered a new one from 'Don', likely it will not fail again now I have a new spare.

Pageant of Transport this Easter weekend should fit in nicely.

JohnC
    Last edited by kkeaa53; 03-27-2018, 12:31 PM. Reason: typing errors corrected

I would love to see pictures of it. The weather here is cold and wet. The snow is gone but everything is mud.

Have you tried different tire pressure settings, varied amounts to see if it makes a difference? How are your steering knuckles and the rest of your front end components?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matt you're such a lover of the Power Wagon.... me personally the only true Power Wagon is pre 65, but we all have different tastes.
      Not got a lot of time for the current modern elephant, no class. There that's upset a shed load of readers..... but then I am a Brit and we are strange.

I posted all my 'strip and build' picture on my local Kit Car Forum gallery, they seem to accept me in their ranks without prejudice, they certainly don't get in the way on the road.

Not sure if you can access this private gallery but you can give it a try. I am sure you will recognise the process and fun I had.

Think I have added a link (http://www.applecountykitcars.co.uk/....php?album=156)

The truck was imported from California in late 2015 and I spent most of 2016 completing the refurb.

I have maintained the original look and feel so its almost original down to the brake booster that I was able to recover as I emptied out the Californian sand.

I had it at it first show 90% complete on 1st Jan 2017

Regards

John

Comment

Fantastic documentation of your build, That shade of Blue really stands out. I like it. Hopefully you will get plenty of trips in it coming up and get to put the old girl to work.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Show went well, Easter weather in the UK stayed good until late afternoon. Look shadows made by the sun!

Front to rear change of tyres solved the vibration issue managed 48mph indicated.....

JohnC

sorry cannot mod link, cannot remove it. Admin help!

Comment

I agree with Matthew....."Fantastic documentation". Also, you accomplished so much in a relatively short period of time.....even with the "tea" breaks I noted while going through your photo's. That was tea, right?...lol.

Again....Great job.....Enjoy the ride.

Regards, Randy

Comment

John that's an inspiring build. Looking for a Power Wagon project here as well.

Comment

Truck looks great! Nice to see all the different photos.

Comment

Working...
                X