47 WDX front axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 47 WDX front axle

I have my front axle apart for a check up and looking through my shop manual I don't see tolerances for the bronze bushings for the axle shafts, if not in the shop manual where are they listed ?

Are you speaking of say wear on the inner axle bushing? I do not know of a tolerant specification on the inner axle bushing, Just a few questions to ask though.

How are your inner axle seals behind the bronze bushing?

Were you getting any gear oul out past the bushings and seals into your knuckle and hub?

Are you able, or were you able to remove the spindle and axleshaft and the bushings all remain tight and in place?

Also do you have Lock out Hubs on your truck instead of the drive flanges?

I have researched these bronze bushings to many ends of the earth and back. They will wear internally and also the flat face or surface of the bushing will wear down.

With the inner axle shaft installed into the housing by itself are you able to turn it without making contact with the inner ball surface of the axle housing itself?

1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by preaction View Post
      I have my front axle apart for a check up and looking through my shop manual I don't see tolerances for the bronze bushings for the axle shafts, if not in the shop manual where are they listed ?
      Get or download a copy of TM9-8031-2, the M37 powertrain manual. There are wear limits and sizes of bearings and axles. A lot of information for the transfer case, differentials, brakes, etc.
      I have used this manual for all my PW projects. The manual is 500 + pages, the info you seek is near the back.

Frank

Comment

Thank you Frank, I had never read those specs in that manual before. I need to do more homework.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matthew, the oil seals are the leather type and do not leak its possible they have been there a long time as the truck has 19,900 documented miles. The knuckles on both sides have only grease in them as there is no oil leakage. 3 out of the 4 bushings came out with the axle but have no play in that fitment. The truck has lock out hubs on it. For your last question do you mean turning it without the bronze bushing installed ? All of the bushings seem to be in good shape no unusual wear. The clearances are pass outer .033, pass inner .018, driver inner ? driver outer .024 all axles were either 1.510 or 1.509.

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
            Matthew Welcher PWA commented
            Editing a comment
            From what I have seen with the bushings coming out without being pulled using pullers, tools etc.
            The bushings them selves more than likely have spun inside the housings they were once pressed and or sriven into and should probably be replaced.
            My guess is that if you reinstalled they would fit rather loose.

It looks like the TM9-8031-2 is the way to go its 555 pages so at a price of $54 I think its a better deal to purchase it than to down load and pay for the paper and ink. It lists the front bearings as being 1.519 to 1.521 with a 1.525 max and my axle shafts are still in spec with a wear of .001.

Comment

I purchased the whole batch of M-truck manuals as a download for something like $35, they are valuable for both the detail of the specifications as well as being much more detailed on repairs than the factory civilian truck manuals. They are invaluable for doing mechanical work on these trucks.

I do like the PDF versions better though for one simple reason. I print out the pages I need and if they get all greasy and grimy out in the garage with me while I'm following them I can easily toss them and print a new set. Always feel bad getting a nice clean (especially NOS) manual dirty.

Comment

So I finished the bearing install on the front axle and Im very surprised at the turning radius's increase in available turning don't get me wrong its not easier by any means but I can now cut many turns I wouldn't have tried before so well worth the effort thanks for your help Matt. I took a few pics hopefully I will get to post them.

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
                Matthew Welcher PWA commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad it is all back together and working well for you. I will help out anytime I can.
            Working...
            X