Engine air filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine air filter

My 230ci engine is still wearing its factory heavy duty oil bath air filter would I be better off switching to a paper type filter not just for the simplicity of a paper element but would a paper filter be more efficient ?

What I've read the oil bath ones are more efficient when properly cared for and should essentially last forever. However in a modern car the oil that gets pulled into the engine would wreck the cat and O2 sensors, not to mention the space and maintenance time they require. Heck, those K&N filters are basically just an oil bath air cleaner without the oil bath.

Comment

I never really thought about this until recently looks like I may need to do some research.

Comment

I believe Charles at M Series Rebuilds has a filter and or design to put a paper element into the oil bath breather, maybe he will chime in here. I know he is running busy right now.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I am of the opinion that oil bath air cleaners are generally better... and they went the way away because of the cost to produce was higher than the paper style... Not so much as a result of being more effective. Industrial engines seemed to continue the practice of oil bath air cleaners...

Comment

Working...
          X