Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duel Weber's and Fuel Pressure Regulator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel Weber's and Fuel Pressure Regulator??

I have the duel Weber Carburetor set-up from VPW on my 49 PW, 230 with their performance Cam and never did install the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Everything runs great but VPW recommends using the FPR. Why is it necessary and should I install it? What issue's could I have if I don't? What pressure should be at the Carb inlet? Any incite would be appreciated.

If fuel pressure is under 10 psi all should be fine. Most carbs like the 6-9 psi range.

Comment

I have read that weber's use or prefer unusually low fuel pressure, like 2.5-4 PSI, vs the more common 4-6 PSI. It may depend upon which weber you have on the truck... but I would assume that too high a fuel pressure may cause it to run on the rich side. I do not know for sure, as I have never even seen a weber in real life... Vintage should be able to easily confirm or reaffirm why they recommend a pressure regulator.

Comment

Both Carburetors are Carter-Weber Motocraft Model 740 2-Barrels and since posting this thread, I found some information at Stovebolt that recommended 4-6 psi. I also found another thread from another ford site where they recommended 3.5 psi. Based on this info, I may start at 4 psi and see how it runs. I also found that it is necessary to heat the intake manifold, in my case, this will be done by running heated water through it but when I first hooked up the water, I found that the two plugs within the casting leaked so I need to get them sealed (most likely welded) up.

Comment

From my experience you want to keep the fuel pressure around 6psi or less for just about any needle and seat. From that point it may be a trial and error as far as how the engine performs at any specific rate of fuel.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Matt, read some reviews on the Mr Gasket pressure regulator (the one supplied with my kit) that were not so good. Have you had any feedback on this? I know that when reading reviews you only get the negatives so am not that concerned.

Comment

That is a tough call, I used to use Holley pressure gauges. I believe the same company now owns Holley, Mr Gasket and so on. A liquid filled gauge has always seemed to me to be the most accurate. If I had to buy one, i would purchase this unit and try it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...9erl/overview/
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Thanks Matt and I did use that gauge on my 72 Land cruiser where I did a performance rebuild with a Chevy 350 , 700R4 Trans, power steering/disc brakes, air lockers, ect and mated it with this Holley fuel regulator https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-803/overview/

My question was related to the fuel regulator that was supplied with the kit I got from VPW, this one https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-9710/overview/ I read some bad reviews on this one "leaking" so wondered that since you guys supply this regulator have you had any returns or feedback. Hate to have a failure while driving and "boom" up in flames since I will be mounting the regulator up at the carbs.

ps: I also have an account with Summit, decent prices and 2 day delivery "since there located right over the mountain from me.

pss: I also sent you another email (to VPW) on my headlights

Comment

I havent had many problems with them, the biggest issue i have seen is consistent reliability with the knob style pressure regulators. They all seem to be off. One way or another. Either high or low.
                  A good gauge helps to determine if the regulator is working properly or not. The pressure regulators that are controlled with an allen screw and locking nut seem to be more accurate, but take a little more plumbing to install.

1967 W200.aka.Hank
                  1946 WDX.aka.Shorty

Comment

Working...
                  X