Dipstick Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipstick Length

While changing out my oil of my 1949 B1PW, I noticed that when filling after only 4 qts the reading on my dipstick was well above full. I know I have emptied all of the oil but not sure if the dipstick tube or dipstick is correct on the truck. (the dipstick does not look like the one on VPW's parts diagram). Does anyone know what the length of the tube should be (from where it exits the motor to top) and also the length of the dipstick (from bottom to where it rests on tube)? Also, how far up from bottom of dipstick is the "add" and "full" lines.

Thanks in advance. Oh ya, I have a 218 not 230 in my truck if that makes any difference
    Last edited by texcwa; 05-27-2018, 09:11 PM. Reason: Added info

Don have you got this question answered yet? Please let me know if you still need this taken care of for you. Thanks
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

No, not yet. Just asking because again after only adding 4 qts the stick shows full although I did not change the oil filter element so maybe that's where the 5th quart is (did not change filter since I never started the truck after flooding the manifold with gas "and possibly into cylinders then through the rings" so did not believe it got any gas into it). Did not see any gas in oil after draining either.

Comment

I believe the filter canister holds right at 1 full quart. I have had different vehicles take different amounts. It is possible that there is a pan difference between engines. Some of the Plymouth engines may have had a different pan but I am not 100 percent positive on this. I will measure the dipstick in my 46 this evening and get back with you with the results.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I ran into the same issue as you about 1-2 weeks before your post. Added the required amount of oil and realized I may of wanted to put one in the filter. Checked the dipstick and it showed above line. I have left it like that until I feel like draining some oil and replacing it into the filter. I have a Plymouth otherwise I would have given you my dipstick measurements.

Comment

Working...
          X