Gin pole question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gin pole question

The front bumpers on the PW I'm trying to save have brackets for a gin pole or derrick. I've seen pix online of this arrangement and can't understand how it operates. I have the standard Braden winch, which AFIK is only powered one way. If it was used to lift a load via the gin pole, how was the load lowered? Or was there a way to operate the winch in reverse that I don't know about?
    Thank you.

Rick A

My 72 W200 had a Braden LU-2 PTO driven winch. It was driven off of the t-case. To operate while keeping the truck stationary you'd lock the brakes or chock the wheels & place the t-case lever in Neutral. Then you'd pull a knob out that engaged the PTO. The transmission was placed in Reverse to spool out & any of the Forward gears to spool in. There was also a lever on the winch that allowed the spool/drum to be released & to free spin. This was usually how I unspooled cable as it was much faster.

I am not sure if how your winch is set up or if it is driven via T-case or transmission.

Bucky

Comment

Thank you, Bucky. I had wondered if the PTO would run the other way if the tranny was in reverse but my only previous experience was with dump trucks and trailers in which the PTO just ran a hydraulic pump.

Rick A

Comment

Rick,

Your PTO is operable in either direction, depending upon the position of the PTO lever coming up through the transmission hump. There should be 2 spring-loaded "gates" that prevent the accidental engagement of the PTO. Each gate must be manual opened in order to shift the lever each forward or aft.

Unlike the transfer case-driven PTO's provided on the W-series trucks, your transmission-driven PTO can only change speed or direction by engine rpm and PTO lever position.

Hope this helps

cd
        1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
        1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
        2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
        1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
        1954 Ford 860 tractor
        1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
        UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

Thank you, too, cd,

The operation is clear now; didn't realize something like that varied from one series to the next.

Rick A

Comment

Working...
          X