Adding Turn Signals ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Turn Signals ??

Just curious on the best way (with limited wiring modifications) to add rear turn signal blinkers. Have found both 4 wire and 7 wire steering column mounted blinker assemblies but do not know the difference. Would like for the rear lights to be one on each side with a bulb that will handle the light, stop and blinker. Any advise? How many wires will I need to add down the frame to the rear lights? Thanks, This is for my 49 B1 PW

Use the 7 wire switch which is much easier, 4 seperate wires 1 for each turn signal, splice into the stoplight switch wire, I believe that is the black and gray wire Power to the flasher assembly and then your brake and tail lights it works slick.
    Signal Stat 900 is the standard 7 wire switch that you would use.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Welcher PWA View Post
      Use the 7 wire switch which is much easier, 4 seperate wires 1 for each turn signal, splice into the stoplight switch wire, I believe that is the black and gray wire Power to the flasher assembly and then your brake and tail lights it works slick.
      Signal Stat 900 is the standard 7 wire switch that you would use.
      Thanks Matt, I have been reading up on that and have been meaning to just place an order from VPW for the black Signal Stat 900, a 12V turn signal flasher and flasher receptacle but get busy at work and forget to call (always remember too late and they are closed.) Should I just use my Cowl Lights and put amber colored bulbs in them for front? I got the new VPW Cowl lights with 3 wires!

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
        Matthew Welcher PWA commented
        Editing a comment
        You can convert your cowl lights to turn signals yes sir, or add additional lights up front in the grill. The options are fairly endless depending on how you would like it to look.

So I installed my new signal stat 900 (7 wire) and here are my issues:

1. Since the directions call for the 12V continuous source to the flasher relay (so that emergency flashers will work without key in on position), the red emergency light on signal stat 900 stays on continuously (this will drain battery).

2. I have NO brake lights. I connected the brake lite sensor to the signal stat as the directions stated. I have 12V at the signal switch when I step on brake peddle but my brake lights do not work.

All blinkers work as they should, the emergency blinkers work, they all work with running lights on or off.

Update, when I disconnect the blue wire from flasher relay, I still get blinkers and flashers but it cuts off all lights on the stat 900. I would not have interior indicator lights but at least it would not be draining battery?? Still would like for it to work correctly and I still have no brake lites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
      Last edited by texcwa; 01-17-2019, 09:28 PM. Reason: Adding update

Comment

Double check the wiring connections, and also the signal stat sosn't tell you but it needs to be grounded for the indicator light to work. Take your meter and see if the signal stat is indeed grounded, or perhaps has power.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks for the response Will, I have tripled checked all the connections. The Stat was not originally grounded well since the lights on the Stat did not come on at all. After insuring a good ground, the lights on the Stat worked but like I mentioned, the large flasher light is on all the time (running down battery). I even put a separate ground wire from clamp to body.

The turn signals work great (I even replaced the cowl lights with amber bulbs) to to have front blinkers. When the blinkers are on, the small indicator lights on Stat also blink. Same with the flashers, although the red light is always on, when I pull out the flasher switch, all 4 lights flash and so does the red indicator but as soon as I disengage the flasher, the red light on Stat stays on.

As for the break lights, I have checked the voltage from the wire coming from sending unit and I get 12V when I press on the brake. The break lights always worked before but now do not. For clarification, this is how I wired my rear brake lights.

1, I disconnected the bullet connector from the brake sensor. I then ran a new 14ga wire from the brake sensor to inside of cab to be connected to the Grey w black stripe wire from the Stat.

2. I ran a new 16ga wire from the Stat and connected it to the wire I removed from the sensor to act as the left rear brake and turn signal wire. (I did not splice into the original brake (output) wire from sensor)

3. I ran a new 16ga wire from Stat all the way back to the right rear brake and turn signal.

4, I left the original running lights hooked up as was.

5. I ran a 14ga fused wire from battery to flasher relay. I then ran 16ga wires as shown in the directions from the relay to the Stat. (Note that if I unplug the blue wire from Stat the lights on stat do not go on)

6. I finally ran the two front cowl lights to their corresponding wires from the Stat.

The rear light have 2 wires, The lights ground by mounting to the frame. I have the running lights hooked up to the white wires and the 2 individual brake/turn signal wires connected to the red wires (This is how it was originally except the red brake wire was split to go to both lights)

Does the above sound correct? Does the break sensor now going through the Stat suppose to tell the breaks to go on through the Stat when I push on the brake? I am sooo confused!!

Question? Could it be possible that I have a bad flasher relay? (for the always on red flasher light.

Should I have just spliced into the brake sensor and had the spliced wire run up to Stat? If so, would I not need three wires at each of the rear lights. 1 for running lights, 1 for brake lights and 1 for turn signal?
          Last edited by texcwa; 01-18-2019, 01:07 AM. Reason: Added info

Comment

I have seperate brake lights and turn signals on the '52. So there are two seperate systems.
            i think it is more period "correct", as turn signals were not standard then; rather they were an add-on, and it made wiring a little simpler, although there is more wires run.
            ill check to see if my flasher works with the key out/off.

Comment

I wonder if the flasher is correct/good, or if it's connector is pinned correct.

Pull both flashers from the connector and check to see if you have Brake Lights and No turn or 4-Way flasher operation.
              If the brake don't work, there may be a problem with the Signal Stat or it's internal wiring.

If you had brake lights, try this
              Pull only the 4-Way flasher from the connector and check everything for operation, you should have L, R and Brake function.
              If you have turn and brakes, the 4-Way flasher might be bad/incorrect, or it's wire pinning in the flasher connector (or at the signal stat ) might be wrong.

I can't find the 900 schematic, but this might be of some help.

A5007R%20Wiring.jpg
              I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
              1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
              1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
              1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
              2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Just an update, after talking with Jens at VPW, I did some troubleshooting and found that the wire from the brake sensor to Stat 900 had a short in it (this was a new 16ga wire I installed) Although it showed 12V at its end in the cab, I found by using an auxiliary jumper cable from brake sensor to Stat 900 the brake lights worked so the first wire was bad. Replaced it and all is good.

As for the red light always being on, I just used the ignition on connection so now the red light is only on when key is on. The manufacturer believes this may be due to a bad relay and said I should try a different one but for now, I have placed a small piece of electrical tape over the red light and drive it since I have brake lights and turn signals.

Comment

Working...
                X