Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do Your Insure Your Restored Trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do Your Insure Your Restored Trucks?

Greetings,
    After we expend countless hours of work and sums of cash (that were not fully disclosed to our significant others) in restoring our trucks it is time to go on the road. Assume that the truck will be used and not just a show truck. Registration, license plates, and insurance are required. So how do you discuss the value of a 61 year old truck that is in factory new (or better) condition with an insurance company?
    Thanks

Antique insurance is designed for this and is both easy and cheap to get for the amount you probably have invested, but technically not meant for a vehicle that will be a daily driver and most won't give you insurance for something that won't be properly stored (garage) and used (leisure/upkeep). Otherwise you will likely need to have something custom drawn up and most standard insurance companies aren't going to be a lot of help, but a decent insurance agent should be able to work something out, you just might not like the cost.

You will need to make sure you have documented proof of costs though (receipts, pictures, appraisal, etc.), they might be willing to give you a policy for an amount you can agree upon without them, but if you ever had to actually use that policy I'd bet you'll need all that info to actually get they money you'd need to cover the damage. I actually need to sit down with my agent and re-evaluate insurance for my truck as well.

Comment

Thanks, this is helpful.

Comment

I used Hagerty. My truck is 44 years old & registered as an antique. By doing so I can't use it as a daily driver, which I never did when it was registered as a regular truck.
        My policy has an agreed upon value should something happen. My annual premium is $192 which was less than I was paying for basic liability through a standard auto insurer.

Bucky

Comment

i have used hagerty before as well great rates i just had to provide proof of insurance on another vehicle. I have never personally had a claim but i have heard great things about them.

Comment

I have Hagarty on my Desoto, and it is good, cheap, and easy, but they would not insure the Power Wagon because I was honest and told them I would not be parking it in a garage (didn't have the space, still don't) and would use it to haul stuff from time to time. The mechanic that inspects the truck always asks why I don't just get antique plates since I don't put any serious mileage on it, but as I see it having coverage from someone like Hagarty wouldn't help if when I need it they deny coverage because I wasn't using and storing it in the manner they require.
            Alex worked through this issue better than I have, may want to go check out his thread or the Caryall thread or message him, but IIRC it took a custom insurance plan.

Comment

Hagarty laughed at me when I told them I wanted to use my truck for things other than shows. They REALLY laughed and told me "Good luck" when I told them that I wanted to take the truck camping and drive it on the beach at the Outer Banks in NC. I tried a few other places and only found two that were willing to work with me, and one ended up falling through,

I lucked out and my regular State Farm girls love me so they were willing to lose the coverage on my Carryall (State Farm said my custom built, 1 of 8400 ever built, diesel powered, 70 mph capable, disc brake having, truck... was worth $5,000 max totaled out value)... so I HAD to find something else.

I was sent to an agent who took the information on my truck, my intended uses, and wrote up a policy that is a little bit pricey, as in more than my daily driven vehicles combined, but with an agreed mileage limit and a rather handsome agreed value clause, I feel comfortable driving my truck. I have regular tags on my truck in order for this policy to work, as in I am required for a Virginia State inspection. Antique tags on a daily use vehicle are illegal in VA anyways and this way the insurance company knows that the truck is at least safe enough, capable enough, etc, to function as a daily driven truck. Again, its not the cheapest thing in the world, but thats not the point of the vehicle. He was able to get Progressive to underwrite a custom policy to fit my needs and I am more than pleased and the fine print looks decent.

I hope that they don't mind but...

Contact the Hargis Family Insurance Agency and tell them a guy named Alex in Virginia with a Dodge Carryall sent you there to see about a good policy on a truck you want to actually use.

Hargis Family Agency
              1315 Central Court
              Hermitage, TN 37076

866-659-4046 Office
              1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Thank you, these are all excellent ideas, and will get me pointed in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                X