Rust prevention/rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust prevention/rear bumper

Hey guys I searched the posts and as usual my issue is A LITTLE DIFFERENT (what else is new)! I am taking the bare frame of my 50 Power wagon in next week for Powder Coating and am thinking I should put some rust PREVENTER inside the read cross member of the frame, its the big one that is boxed two part riveted together. First there is no rust in there at this point but I think I should put something in there to prevent possible future issues? Do I need to treat this area? I have essentially two small access holes to spray something in there and spread it around as best as I can, I truly dont want to grind and drill all the rivets out to open it up and then have to bolt it all back together, sounds like a can of worms best left closed! Do you guys feel thats its necessary to treat this area? If so and you have suggestions on what to use please be aware that it needs to stand up to some 400 degree temps for at least 20 minutes and not burn off. I am open to any all thoughts on this issue? Second am I going to have to build my own rear bumper for this truck? I want to keep the pintle installed and functional and cannot find any aftermarket bumper what so ever. I have no problem building one but my question is this the only choice I have?
    Thanks much for your thoughts guys

Karl

have you thought about using Eastwood frame product that comes with a flexible hose. It could be completed after the powder coating so you do not have to worry about the temperatures

Comment

Do not put anything inside the boxed crossmember before powder coating. The powder coater can shoot some powder inside the cross member. Once you have the frame back you can spray epoxy or some kind of boat paint inside the cross member if you think there is any bare areas. When you get the frame home spray fluid film on the joints of any areas that are sandwiched and do this a couple of times a year. Also inside the boxed frame - you will not regret doing so. Keep in mind that rust likes to grow under powder coating, spraying the joints helps prevent this.
      Also some real good shops will spray a zinc powder coat and then a top coat.
      Let us know how it turned out.
      We want pictures :)

Comment

Working...
      X