1950 Power Wagon cab to frame supports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Power Wagon cab to frame supports

Hey guys I would guess your getting a bit tired of me asking questions but with that said I was talking to Steve at Vintage today and asked about all the rubber cab supports that attach the cab to the frame on my truck and he responded that they were wood? Really? I did not remove my cab from the frame the folks restoring the body did that but when they are done I will be mounting it back on the frame, do I really use wood, or is there a better maybe a bit more modern way to do this task? I have a lot of money and tons of time into this truck and the thought of using wood to mount the cab just seems wrong to me. How would you folks proceed in this area?
    Karl

Check the POWERWAGON forum, Phil's Archives. Type in "cab mounts" and you get a lot of hits. First one included using conveyor belt material, another used hockey pucks. Wood holds water eventually the cab rusts. The rubber or polyurethane, etc, do not. Hope this helps.

Comment

Early year Power Wagons used wooden blocks, and a spring bolt system. I am building a '48 and am using the rubber mounting system. It gives the cab a better chance surviving frame articulation. My personal truck employes a 3 point system which eliminates a bunch stress on the cab, but I bet you'll be happy with the rubber mounts
      1949 B-1 PW (Gus)
      1955 C-3 PW (Woodrow)
      2001 Dodge 2500 (Dish...formerly Maney's Mopar)
      1978 Suzuki GS1000EC (fulfills the need...the need for speed)
      1954 Ford 860 tractor
      1966 Chrysler LS 16 sailboat (as yet un-named)
      UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FITS

Comment

The wood blocks are only in the front, I used some leftover composite decking to make my blocks. It's very dense but doesn't absorb water or rot. They also had oiled canvas or something in between the cab and block in the front and just the pad in the rear. I used some scrap urethane sheet (from e-bay) instead. As I raised the cab slightly to accommodate the engine swap I used thicker urethane to make up the difference for a bit of cushioning. So far everything has held up well.

Comment

Thanks very much guys this clears this up a lot for me, since I didnt remove the cab and didnt see how the wood was used I was picturing all sorts of nightmares when I heard wood was being used, I will research further but the polyurethane sure sounds like a good alternative! Thanks again!
          Karl

Comment

Working...
          X