Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Knuckle Assembly...

Hello

Im after the torque values for the 4 bolts that hold the knuckle halves together and the 8 bolts for the bearing retainers.
    My manual didn’t indicate?. Instead of using a general 1/2 bolt torque value I though I ask the group.

Thank you

I was told 60 ft pounds on bearing retainer and no more than 89 ft pounds on the knuckle half’s.

Comment

80 ft pounds on knuckle half’s. I fat fingered the first post.

Comment

thanks for the response Crudolph!

Comment

No problem. Just rebuilt mine. Craig

Comment

IMG_3891-2.jpeg Here’s a photo of mine in progress. I debated the 4 bolt position and after carefully reviewing if there would be any consequences, I position the bolt head on top versus the factory install being on the bottom. I did this as I felt it did more justice to the dodge brothers logos from replating.
            ( if anyone has a comment on this please let me know)

I replaced the upper brass bearing with cage bearing. The breaking torque with the cage bearing is 5 ft/lbs when shimmed properly. Measuring 5 ft/lbs is a little tough.. so I did it by feel? Are you doing the same in your build?

Comment

I tried cone bearing on top and bottom and couldn’t get the 27 pound preload. I spoke with VPW and they said you probably won’t get the preload with top cage bearing and if you do probably won’t last due to weight of vehicle. They recommended the brass top bearing. I replace my tops with brass bearing and with the shims I achieved the 27 pound preload. Going back and forth with shim to get preload was challenging to say the least.

hope this helps. Craig

Comment

There’s been a lot of debate on this topic and the consensus seemed to be 50/50. Perhaps someone else may over their opinion.
                The preload on the cage bearing is only suppose to 5ft/lbs otherwise amy more it would ruin the bearing itself-measuring this torque this low was my challenge.
                You are correct though on the torque of the brass, my manual shows 25-27.5 frlbs.

Cheers
                Ray

Comment

I didn’t know about the 5 # on the cage bearing. Good to know. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X