First post. Disc brakes and other planned mods on 3 project trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post. Disc brakes and other planned mods on 3 project trucks

Being new to the forum, this is my 1st post. I've searched around a bit, but I'm still learning/getting used to the forum. I'm also new to the PW world .... And I'm jumping in with both feet as I just purchased 3 Power Wagons all in need of restorations. I have 2 1952's and a 1959 (w30m). My goal is to restore them all simultaneously (or close to it). I don't want to make them what they are not but at the same time I need them to be able to get around in So Cal traffic and freeways. I'm a hobbyist but have restored quite a few cars to show quality, most of them being unique English sports cars but most recently a 1949 Plymouth Woody.

After doing some some research I've come to the conclusion that I will be keeping and rebuilding the flatheads (as opposed to swapping a Cumins or v8) but in order to get to safe freeway speeds, I'll be installing overdrives (which I recently did in my Daimler SP250). Due to the higher speeds, I plan on front disc conversions at a minimum.

So my 1st question is: who currently makes disc conversion kits (I can't seem to find anything recent in the forum).

I'm looking forward to hearing and receiving all your help and opinions. In the meantime, I'm reading up on the shop manuals, parts lists and owners manuals that I purchased from VPW.

Thanks,
    Josh

From another Forum:

There seems to be a lot of confusion over whether I am still making brake sets for our trucks or not. About five years ago I had a serious heart attack that resulted in heart failure. Since I was 65 I retired but continued to supply brake conversions that I had already made to anyone who contacted me. I finally ran out of them about a year ago. Recently while cleaning out storage I found enough parts to weld up about 20 more M37/PW/WC3/4 ton brake sets Which I am currently doing. They will be the last that I make. I also have 20 sets of the W100/200 brakes for the dana 44 axle with 8 lugs.

Also I have redesigned the W300/M715 front disc brake set so that it will be easier to make. As soon as I am finished with the PW brake sets I will start manufacturing the new set for the W300 trucks. They should be ready by this winter. The supply of original drums for the W300 dried up about 8 years ago so a disc brake set for it is critical. If you need to contact me my email is rsuiter@helitool.com

Regards, Ray

I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thank you. I’ll call Ray this coming week.

how about Overdrive setup (I can actually probably figure out the Laycock/shaft portion as well as electrical lockouts that I’ll want. But not sure on the brackets

Comment

A few Different options out there on the Disc Brake conversions, Charles at M series Rebuilds, Vintage Power Wagons, Precision Power Wagons, aka Dan Mininger and Ray at Heli Tool.
        aka http://www.uglytruckling.com/
        https://www.mseriesrebuild.com/
        http://precisionpowerwagons.com/index.html

Installing Disc brakes on a civilian Power Wagon is one of the easiest and most enjoyable things you can do.
        Search the forum here for the under cab brake booster that Greg Coffin designed. A Must for and to go along with the disc brakes.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by JSabah View Post
          Being new to the forum, this is my 1st post. I've searched around a bit, but I'm still learning/getting used to the forum. I'm also new to the PW world .... And I'm jumping in with both feet as I just purchased 3 Power Wagons all in need of restorations. I have 2 1952's and a 1959 (w30m). My goal is to restore them all simultaneously (or close to it). I don't want to make them what they are not but at the same time I need them to be able to get around in So Cal traffic and freeways. I'm a hobbyist but have restored quite a few cars to show quality, most of them being unique English sports cars but most recently a 1949 Plymouth Woody.

After doing some some research I've come to the conclusion that I will be keeping and rebuilding the flatheads (as opposed to swapping a Cumins or v8) but in order to get to safe freeway speeds, I'll be installing overdrives (which I recently did in my Daimler SP250). Due to the higher speeds, I plan on front disc conversions at a minimum.

So my 1st question is: who currently makes disc conversion kits (I can't seem to find anything recent in the forum).

I'm looking forward to hearing and receiving all your help and opinions. In the meantime, I'm reading up on the shop manuals, parts lists and owners manuals that I purchased from VPW.

Thanks,
          Josh
          Also Welcome! And thank you for your support of the Forum! Enjoy, share and have fun.
          1967 W200.aka.Hank
          1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
          2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Working...
          X