Frozen Brake Pedal Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Brake Pedal Shaft

Hi All, it's been a while.... As I was plowing, my brakes were getting soft, it turns out that the MC rebuild I did 8 years ago had now worn out, so I ordered a new one from VPW.
    The old MC came out no problem, and while I was down there I thought I would replace the MC to pedal rod which i had purchased many years ago. Well that wasn't happening as the pin is rusted to it. Since there is no room to get a pusher of any sort or to drive it free, I thought I would pull the shaft for the brake pedal and drop it down. I had already noticed that the pedal shaft had drifted towards the transmission and was only holding on by about 1/4" inside the hanger. It too is frozen in the bore of the pedal. I figured that if it made it that far on it's own then rusted there, I could pump it full of grease and PB Blaster and drive it out the rest of the way the direction it was going. I grabbed some 3/4" brass bar and started wailing on it. I only got it to move about 1/16" of an inch and it seems really locked up now. It's still hanging on the hanger about 1/8" of an inch (meaning the pedal wont drop free) but I cant get it to budge. I spoke to a nice guy at VPW about it, he suggested removing the pedal hanger from the frame but it's SO rusted, the bolts aren't recognizable and it looks really frozen to the frame....you can see one in the foreground of the first pic. I thought that if it made it that far on it's own, I should be able to drive it out the rest of the way? The second pic shown is basically how I found it looking down with the DS floor pan removed. Thoughts?
    I could just bolt the new MC up and be on my way, but I hate having my *** kicked by these snowball projects.

EDIT* For some reason I am getting a "You are not able to create or remove attachments" when I try to post. Mods?

I

I have read on one of these truck forums that a mixture of acetone & tranny fluid makes a dandy penetrant, but I can't say I have tried it myself. I'm not familiar with one these pedal brackets but assume they are under the floor & not on the firewall, correct?

Is there enough space to successfully & safely apply heat?

I can't see any pictures so I'm not much help.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks, I got it done doing just that, heat. I took the plow off, drove it into my shop and heated the end that was sticking out of the hanger to dull red, the went to the other end and heated it to dull red, quenched it with PB Blaster and drifted it out. Did the same to the pedal rod pin that was equally stuck. I ordered a new shaft and pedal bushing kit from VPW today, looking forward to getting it back on the road with some solid pedal.
      Any idea on the attachment issue (photos)? I don't have a host site like Photobucket or anything, but I used to be able to upload them right from my computer.

Comment

Glad you got it out.

I can't say about the photo issue. Back when I was a subscriber to the PWA magazine I didn't have any troubles posting pictures. Now that my status is a commoner I no longer have that privilege.

Bucky

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
          Matthew Welcher PWA commented
          Editing a comment
          Guys we took care of this for you all today. Let me know what you would like to see from the forum.
          I really appreciate you guys using this and helping each other. Each day we keep one more old Dodge going down the road.

You know what, I think you are right about that. I used to get the mag too when I first got my truck and remember something about posting photos be a privilege of that. This is the only website that I post on that that is the policy.

Comment

pedal1.jpg pedal2.jpgI wanted to test my new photo posting abilities. Thanks Mods.

Comment

Working...
          X