Cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling system

Hey guys I hope you are all doing well into the new year! I am restoring a 50 PW and started looking at my radiator a few weeks ago and I was pretty sure a that I was going to have to a new core put in so I took it to a shop that has done work for me before and they tested it and found that not only the core was shot but both the top and bottom tanks had holes and weak spots. OK I did not want to hear that. With that said I need a good radiator and I am trying to find an alternative to buying an expensive one, I dont care if its aluminum or brass and I sure dont need a hand crank hole either. Do you guys have any suggestions on finding a good reasonable radiator for my truck?
    Thanks much
    Karl

I don't for your initial question, but if the radiator was that bad you might consider pulling the water pump and pulling out the brass channels in the block to clean it out. I knocked out a welsh plug and back flushed the system. I was glad I did as the sediment was so packed in there that it completely covered the hole in the block left by the plug....and mine is 15 years newer than yours!

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts on the cooling system and you would be correct on every item but the engine is freshly overhauled and I have a brand new water pump to put on the engine, it will also be getting all new hoses so the cooling system should be as clean as its ever going to get! But thanks for the thoughts and again your correct!

Comment

Well guys I got a call back from Steve at VPW and they have NO radiators rebuilt or otherwise! Does anybody know of other sources where I could get one that the tanks are good and could just have a new core put in?

Comment

• Matthew Welcher PWA
          Matthew Welcher PWA commented
          Editing a comment
          Karl, one thing I always do is grab the lazer temp gun and shoot the top and the bottom of the radiator ti see what kind of a temperature drop we are getting.
          Should be atleast 40 degrees of difference between the two.

Where are you located? There's a guy here in Vermont who deals in them....I was actually going to call him to see what he has in the frame department.
        I'll PM or post his number if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Kostman View Post
          Well guys I got a call back from Steve at VPW and they have NO radiators rebuilt or otherwise! Does anybody know of other sources where I could get one that the tanks are good and could just have a new core put in?
          You could try Ric Tudor in Walworth, WI. He can probably provide you with radiator parts.

Comment

defdes I am in Fargo ND and thank you very much for making the call to check out availability of a radiator! Its greatly appreciated!!
            Karl

Comment

There is an aluminum version that is used by Dan Minninger in his builds. Champion I believe that seems to work very well if you are not worried about originality. Search for Power Wagon radiator on ebay and see what it brings up.
              I will do more research on my end.
              1967 W200.aka.Hank
              1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
              2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Kostman View Post
                defdes I am in Fargo ND and thank you very much for making the call to check out availability of a radiator! Its greatly appreciated!!
                Karl
                Just saw this, but I'll ring him up today.

Comment

Hey Karl, you are not set up for PM's. He has what you are looking for if you are still looking for it. PM me.

Comment

Working...
                  X